What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gonna be C-O-L-D tonight.

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
Hard freeze forecast, for sure. Heck, we have snow almost to the ground here in San Jose! :0o:

I just spent the last hour bringing all the cacti into the GH (I lost some that way last year, so I wanted to be SURE), and bringing the lowlanders into the house, *just* in case my back-up heater fails. Also, the LL tank isn't all finished yet, I still need to install some critical equipment.

Whew!

It's 20 on my porch already. This time last night it wasn't quite freezing yet. Scary.
~Joe

it didnt get above freezing here yesterday, and here now its about 20 degrees as well but its supposed to get down to around 8ºF tonight...
hope my sarrs will be fine in the GH

Yeah, I'm worried about my divisions. Most of my tables were easy to cover but one tub was so frozen I couldn't move the pots, so they aren't very sheltered. I should go find another tarp for them.
~Joe

omg its the end of the world .................:-))

There was expected snow yesterday in Fairfield and Sacramento! Thankfully it was just rain. I wish I was still living in the bay area.

omg its the end of the world .................:-))

-4 right now and its almost noon....tonight is supposed to be a low of -24.....been below 0 when i go to work every morning this week and i havent even broke out my winter coat yet.....toughen up ppl :D

25-35 cm of snow expected for tomorow in montreal:banana2: going to use it for winter protection

Oh snap. that remind me to bring in my cacti inside too. the first snow already hit. hope their ok >__>

I am already leaving the the freezing temps, tonight its gonna be 30, and the next night, 34. lol The coldest it will be in at night will be 21, and it will be 30 as the coldest high.

What? What is this "cold" and "freezing" you are talking about?

Hehe, I'll get my boots ready :p

Keep in mind that this thread began in California, where our first rains -- regardless of how light and inconsequential -- are covered by such things as the "Storm Tracker" in the nightly news.

Last night was -1C (30.1 F) by my thermometer -- and nothing to write home about out of state; but I did bring a few Nepenthes in for the evening. There was ice on the leaves of a few and some water dishes were frozen . . .

Bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

I am in San Jose, near Alviso. It does not get this cold often enough.

No, it aint the end of the world, :nana:, but this is the first time I've had to bring stuff in. Next year I shouldn't have to, I'll have things set up, and I'll know which of my baby cacti are hardy.

our first rains -- regardless of how light and inconsequential -- are covered by such things as the "Storm Tracker" in the nightly news.
Isn't that the truth! I always have to laugh at that; it's just a sprinkle, and they're making this big fuss about it.:lol:

Man, I wish I was still in San Jose. Santa Clara County is usually at least 10 degrees milder than where I call home, Tulare County. Even so, Californians shouldn't complain about the weather too much. We've got it made in the shade, weather-wise. I think most of my plants will be safe, but I'm worried about my grapefruit tree. It no like-y freeze-y. :)

0 degrees as I write this, supposed to hit -2 tonight at my house. It killed my already ailing car battery :( But rattler, I think you have us all beat! I don't know how you put up with those winters up there.

Well at my place most of the year here in Queensland Australia i have temps between 30 and 45 degrees C with 80% humidity so no chance of snow ever lol.

Well at my place most of the year here in Queensland Australia i have temps between 30 and 45 degrees C with 80% humidity so no chance of snow ever lol.

Sure, but in Oz you get sweltering hot weather at Christmas -- unnatural . . .

What an odd storm..
the storm is hitting us right now..
I live in the infamous "snow belt" of Western NY..

this storm gave snow to Texas..and its raining here!
weird..

although once it passes through, we are getting a rush of artic air in behind it..
the Great Lakes will be turning on their snow machines in force tomorrow and friday.

Scot

Back