What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP Photo Finder Search Add-On for Firefox

I've created a Firefox search add on for searching cpphotofinder.com/. Unfortunately, I can't make this work for Internet Explorer as it does not support the OpenSearch standard HTTP POST method for searches, which is the search method that cpphotofinder.com/ uses.

UPDATE: This is now available directly from Mozilla's add-on pages here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/57921

Hope this works OK , please let me know either way.

Thanks,

Carl

Nice, thanks. Works perfectly.

If anyone's having trouble, see the screen shots below.

1. Edit 1/10/2010 more detailed instructions for attachment 1:
...after you click the link, a blank page opens. In the upper right of that screen should be a search field, just right of the 'address bar' at the top. In that search field, click the arrow pointing down on the left side. One of the selections is 'add cpphoto finder'. Click that. Done.

2. If you use Firefox but don't have such a "Search" field, see attachment 2: go to the "View" menu, then select "Toolbars >" (a sub menu will appear), and from the sub menu select "Customize...".

A new window will display like the one in screen shot 2 below, and one of the items in that window will be called "Search". Literally drag and drop it from the window to anywhere on Firefox's toolbar (e.g. drop it to the right of the Address bar, or on the same row as your Back and Home buttons). Once it's there, click the "Done" button on the bottom-right of the window from which you dragged Search. Then retry the instructions.

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks a lot!

Yes, very, very cool. Thanks for your work!

man o man i like very much thanks. so much:banana2:

Wow! That's great! Make sure you let Bob know so he can post the instructions on his site I'm sure he'll be stoked!

err, i dont have the search engine thing.. o.o

The add-on works great. Thanks.

Need better instructions IMHO. Not getting it here.

Works fantastic. Thanks for putting this together!

tommy, after you click the link, a blank page opens. In the upper right of that screen should be a search field, just right of the 'address bar' at the top. In that search field, click the arrow pointing down on the left side. One of the selections is 'add cpphoto finder'. Click that. Done.

Works fantastic. Thanks for putting this together!

tommy, after you click the link, a blank page opens. In the upper right of that screen should be a search field, just right of the 'address bar' at the top. In that search field, click the arrow pointing down on the left side. One of the selections is 'add cpphoto finder'. Click that. Done.

Done! Thanks for that!

Happy holidays/Happy new year to all!

Hi,

I have now submitted this search add-on to the Mozilla site, linked below. In order to get it released (it's currently listed as experimental) I need to have some public reviews. I would very much appreciate it if you could spare some time to submit a review on the page linked below, if you find this add-on of use.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/57921

Well, I already had it installed so I can't help it show installations... but I gave my review :) Great work, and good luck getting it fully released! There is no reason anyone into carnivorous plants and using firefox should not have this!
Anderw

Woot! :boogie:

That's cool! This is actually quite useful, because 90% of my Google-ing IS for CP images.

Very nice. Since you piqued my curiosity I looked up how to create these add-ons and it is actually quite simple. You can even find a few pages that will generate the code for you. I went ahead and used one of these to create my own add-on for the Carnivorous Plant Database and installed it into Firefox. I'm always looking up species to try to find the published descriptions or figure out invalid names.

Since you have the accounts setup with Mozilla why don't you go get together with the Omnisterra.com people and whip one out for the CP Database?

BTW: another great little add-on to use with the CP Photo Finder is Unlinker:
Unlinker provides a context menu solution to view images in a web page that are either links or thumbnails. The links must be direct links to an image filename for the Add-on to function properly.

Not recommended for Dial-up Users

Back