What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"tick-scorpion"?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
We were having our "Secret Santa" party tonight at work and one guy brought in a big box of imported Asian Pears. They were softball sized - mine was 2lbs! lol

Anyway Loan grabbed one and she showed me this bug which was crawling on it that looked like a tick but it had two big scorpion or crab like pincers. I'd never seen anything like it and all of a sudden the other girl Xeng blew it onto the floor and stomped on it so I didn't get a chance to catch it and take a pic. :(

Any idea what it was?

Sounds like some form of Pseudo-scorpion

Yup...they're small-scorpion-like-thingy

oooooo my mom was in a hotel once and saw one on her towel, she got a video, it was so cool. We researched them a little bit and apparently they eat dust mites and like moist places... lol

No way, asian pears? I love those things. My mom goes to H mart all the time for those things.

that's exactly what my mom vidoed lol

I saw a whip scorpion in Mexico that was as big as my torso with its legs outstretched. Scary!

Yup Drew that's just what it looked like! Thanks for the image!

Do they get bigger than about 1/8 - 1/4"? That was the size we saw. It would be cool to see a big one - maybe not torso sized though! :-O

Lol whip scorpions are gross as all hell. Swords, i believe they remain pretty small but there are some larger ones, but not much more than a 1/4 inch or so i believe....but yeah, when i picked up my seedgrown hamata in september of 08, i found a pseudo-scorpion crawling in my car lol.

I want to see a pseudo-scorpion. They look cool from all the pictures I have seen.

than sir kristoff was right it is a form of Pseudo-scorpion

if yah want to see them start flipping over rocks......ive found them around here out in the garden before.....gotta look close, most are fairly small and fairly well camouflaged.....

I have been flipping rocks for years. lol When I look for ants, I flip almost everything and have never seen one. Do they even live in Massachusetts?

would assume so, they arent common here, atleast where i look but ive come across them a couple dozen times over 20 years.....keep flipping you will eventually find them.....will say where i find one i usually find several...

I found one, once. It was soo tiny. After reading that it eats dust mites, I turned it loose in the house. :D

you can find them in leaf litter, since there's a lot of tiny preys to feed. what's cool about them is that their paralyzing venom (absolutely harmless to us, even for large tropical species) is contained in their pincers. i also learned that they tend to cling onto birds or other animals to change location!

Back