What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck Question

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Hey I need truck advice.

I'm thinking of getting this truck.

http://www.foxxmotorsports.com/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=107417492

For 3K do you guys think it's a deal? It's in my price range and its what I need... but I've never bought something from these little dealers before. (not that the big dealers were anything more pleasant.)

Anyways, anything you advise to look out for? I'm a bit worried about it only being a 2wd since we do get bad snow here from time to time. But it's been a while since I've had a truck, and I'm used to my SUV that requires 4wd at the first glance of snow. Since this is a work truck, it's not going to be my first choice in vehicle or any off roading choice either.

Also any advice on price? Can you haggle with these little dealers or are they typically sticker price folk.

Thanks!
Nate

Why exactly do you need a work truck?

All my tools are currently in the back of my SUV, while handy I'm out of space in it and can barely have one other person along with me in the ride.

I'm constantly moving large snow blowers around in winter, the lift gate seems perfect. Also during summer I'm picking up a 4x8 sheet of drywall or plywood. (neither fit in a suv full of tools)

I do want a truck that I can expect to go somewhere with a load 50 miles away and get back home without being stuck on the side of the road.

The main goal is to separate work stuff out of my day to day vehicle, increase towing options, and be more flexible with the loads I want to haul.

If you have the money, I would suggest the brand-new Ford Transit Connect van:

2010_ford_transit_connect_02.jpg

I'd have to say that is the perfect solution (minus towing), however I'm not looking to spend more than 3K. Just paid off the SUV and not looking for another car payment.

i think you missed the point when he mentioned that 3000$ price tag, between buying new and buying used, umm, maybe 20 000$ :p

the truck you mentioned does it have a cab in back, cause you won't be hauling much drywall with those compartments.

however, for the price, it seems a tad expensive, considering the mileage and age. I'm trying to find the little red book that show the value of a veh considering age and mileage and such... i'll get back to you on that asap Nate.

For 3K do you guys think it's a deal? It's in my price range and its what I need... but I've never bought something from these little dealers before. (not that the big dealers were anything more pleasant.)
Most dealers (big or small) are the same. They know little to nothing about the vehicle & want to sell it for as much as possible. Simple.

As for the price, you can check Kelly Blue Book but they will not have decent numbers for a 'specialty' truck like this.

On the condition. This appears to be a small contractor's truck. Small contractors typically run a vehicle absolutely into the ground before they replace it. With the economy doing poorly, there are millions of laid-off people out there trying to get a few bucks for their great-condition trucks. A year or so ago, many dealers were refusing large SUVs & trucks as trade-in's because there was such a surplus.

Also any advice on price? Can you haggle with these little dealers or are they typically sticker price folk.
Anything is negotiable. I recommend that you do not fall in love with any specific vehicle. When you do - they have you. Instead, figure out the general attributes that you'd like to have, monitor cars.com & craigslist for a week or three to get an idea of what a vehicle's price range. (If you want more info, check out the forums for specific vehicles. I found out after I purchased my last vehicle that it had a brake problem that Toyota knew was a design flaw. However, they refused to acknowledge it & cover repairs. The 'real' fix cost $2-3K. Most people opt to just keep replacing pads & rotors as they wear out prematurely. Really stinks! Do your homework & you'll be happier with the result). Then go shopping - use these 2 websites and any other place you find & go look at & drive vehicles. When you find a vehicle you're interested in - make a super low offer & be willing to walk away. As practice, do this a few times to get comfortable leaving. Most people fall in love with a specific car & just have to have it. This is a 'buyer's market' - use it to your advantage.

speaking as someone that lives in a frozen hell 6 months a year a 2WD truck is worthless on snow and ice if your gonna be on it much at all.....that one might be a lil better than most given it has more weight on the rear end than stock but in all honesty i would never buy one, you would have a hard time giving me one as they arent worth anything up here cause no one wants one for a daily driver.....from now till bout March, unless im out on the highway my Silverado and Cherokee will not be taken out of 4WD, rear wheel drive vehicles with lil to no weight in the rear are to damn squirrelly on ice and to many idiots dont know how to drive on snow and ice.....the 4WD is as important to get my arse out of the way of someone else that cant drive as it is to keep me from sliding around....

a 12 year old Chrysler??
with 132,000 miles?!
eeeeehh..I would pass..

IMO, Chrysler has always been the worst of the American makes..
very low reliability and quality.

go the library, look through some past issues of consumer reports..
check out the ratings for this particular model ans year..

I wouldnt pay more than $1,000 for it..
(actually, I wouldnt buy it..period..)

I just plugged its info into Kelly Blue Book..
I guessed a condition of "fair"..its worth no more than $2,000..

http://www.kbb.com

Scot

Thank everyone, seems like everyone is leading me to a no confidence vote one way or another... so I'm going to pass on this one.

Thanks!
Nate
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Back