What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

House Plant Growing

Hello members,
Looking for some helpful tips here. I've been growing 2 mature mirandas and 1 ventrata as houseplants for a good 4 months now. I just recently aquired a mature St. Galla and Red Dragon as well that I will also be growing in my house conditions. With the plants I've had, they seem very healthy, new leaves are being produced quite often. Problem is I havent gotten one pitcher out of either of the 3 plants yet. I would also expect the same result with the 2 new ones.
I have suspected lack of humidity to be the issue. Would anyone have any useful tips that would drastically help increase humidity without having to add any sort of humidifying devices around these plants to increas their RH? I've tried keeping moist the top layer of each pot which is LFS but to no success. Any alternatives??

Here is my experience:

http://mysite.verizon.net/elgecko1989/Nepenthes.html

Also I'm not sure I have it noted on my page or not. Over the winter with the reduced amount of light, my plants very rarely pitcher.
Early spring and fall is when I usually have alot of pitchers form on my plants.

Thanks elgecko for the direction. I guess what I pretty much got from your site is the need for patience. I'll need to double check but I highly doubt my RH indoors is below 30%. Hopefully they will all acclimate and I'll start seeing some pitchering.

If you don't have a hygrometer you might be in for a surprise.

My house is currently 78*F and 20% RH with a MN Xmas blizzard starting up outside. :(

I do have a hydrometer, just use it for my chamber setup. I will be monitoring the RH and temp around the houseplants tonight into tomorrow to see their results....

so a little update to anyone whos watching. Where my houseplants are currently, I get a reading on a consistent 40-55% humidity with temperatures in the low 70's to high 60's day to night. Seem like they should be able to pitcher under these conditions based on past experiences I've read here. I'm thinking acclimation is the key to my problem.....any thoughts?

hey greg. my miranda does great at 30 % humidity. its actually pitchering well right now, and does so all winter, though i do have a double flor. light with one 4ft grow and one reg 4ft bulb at 12hours a day, and the south window gets the best sun all year from late nov till mid feb. so i get lots of sun , my ventricosa also does well at this time of the year. and then the rest of the year they produce more slowly, even though i increase the florescent lights to about fourteen hours as summer arrives. How much light are they getting?
my temps are similar to yours.
I'd just give them a little more to acclimate.

hey jimmy the photoperiod is roughly 4 hours direct light and 6 or so indirect....I dunno its hard to "set and forget" lol and let them get acclimated but I think thats what needs to be done

Wow that's some high ambient humidity! I only get an indoor RH that high in mid summer during a rainstorm with all the windows open.

You'll know how good your conditions are when the new growth emerges. It can sometimes take quite a while to get these guys acclimated and start putting on new growth. Unfortunately the old leaves/pitchers often look pretty awful until the plants grow new leaves in their new homes. And this can be true even in a high humidity, high light grow chamber, they still have to acclimate for a while to your specific conditions. Anyway, if your plants new leaves grow evenly and pitcher and the pitchers are colorful then you're all set. I can't get Neps to pitcher for me (or even grow worth a damn) unless I have them in a grow chamber. That is likely because the combination of my poorly lit windows and the low humidity of my condo. I can do the hardier ferns & begonias in my windows but not much else.

Back