What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which carnivorous plants do you dislike?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
This is an odd question, but which carnivorous plants do you actually dislike (whether it's their difficulty with growing, their appearance, etc)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Venus Fly Trap "Dente" because it just looks bad. It goes against what a Venus Fly Trap should look like (the "teeth" are a signature feature that everyone recognizes) and it looks cheap, as if someone took some scissors and clipped off the teeth.

I also dislike Drosophyllum with the fact that Drosophyllum can only be reproduced from seed, it's near impossible to transplant them without killing them, and if they are over-watered, they rot away.

What about you?

Hehe - the ones that died?
Seriously, I like them all, even if I think a few are kind of ugly or frustrating. The tough ones are just a challenge.
~Joe

i don't think there's a plant, period, that I dislike. maybe stinging nettles...and crabgrass.

Drosera Prolifera, I just find it unattractive. Drosera kenneallyi and Drosera Falconeri as well. I just don't like that shape.

I mainly like the most diverse forms of each kind of plant. I feel that a lot of Nep hybrids, esp complex MM hybrids, are generally rather boring and "samey" looking.

There are also far too many "paddle shaped leaf" Droseras that look the same but with different names! :D

I dislike Sarracenia psittacina and most hybrids that have it as a parent for aesthetic reasons.

This is an odd question, but which carnivorous plants do you actually dislike (whether it's their difficulty with growing, their appearance, etc)

I dislike VFT "wacky traps". What's the use of a carnivorous plant that is unable to do what it was intended to do? I think it's ugly too.

I have a strong preference towards bog dwelling CPs; thus, I'm not particularly fond of drosophyllum and quasi-CPs.

non-CPs I hate include blue-green algae (I hated fighting in my fishtanks) and jasmine (the apartment management grew this beside my balcony, and the stuff was a safe haven for red spider mites). I also hate eloda--I keep snagging fishing hooks on the stuff when I go bass fishing. I also hate brussel sprouts and zucchini--they taste terrible.

-Hermes.

I don't like bladderworts...you can't see their trap

Corkscrew VFT "clam shell", D. kennyalli (sp?) and the ones similar to that and thats all i can think of...

wow I'm surprised so many CP's are disliked so much... :( :-O I personally don't dislike any, I love them all for their weird shapes and sizes. :p

Hehe - the ones that died?
Seriously, I like them all, even if I think a few are kind of ugly or frustrating. The tough ones are just a challenge.
~Joe

Agreed. Darlingtonia used to drive me nuts. Right now it's Drosophyllum & D. gramminifolia.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Drosera Prolifera, I just find it unattractive. Drosera kenneallyi and Drosera Falconeri as well. I just don't like that shape.

What's not to like?

Picture006-3.jpg

Picture012-3.jpg

Picture075-1.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

But they have really cute flowers that will bloom during the winter.

Picture154.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Picture005-12.jpg

I like Sarracenia psittacina, but none of the hybrids I have seen. I also don't like N. hamata's lower pitchers, but I like their uppers. Other then that I am neutral to any I don't like or love.

Not any CPs i really dont like other than a few very boring looking neps which i dont have time to list (have to go to work). Non CPs i hate, Stining Nettle, Thistle, and any poison ivy/oak/sumac....

i am no fan of VFT's.I hate them They are Just Blah.
an not a fan of sundews cant grow them have tried more than enough times . but i keep trying
let me just sum it up if it needs a dormancy i hate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin1997

But they have really cute flowers that will bloom during the winter.

also if you put the the plants in a shallow pot with holes in the bottom, then put that pot sitting in a clear cup of water, the traps will eventually show up. Ans Ant, how can you not like hamata? :-O lol

I dislike Sarracenia psittacina and most hybrids that have it as a parent for aesthetic reasons.

Ditto, I also find S. minor pretty 'meh'. Pigmies and tuberous dews do nothing for me.

I don't do very well with pings, but I don't DISLIKE them. I just don't seem to do very well with them. It's hard for me to pick something which I dislike, since I generally find that everything has some kind of likeable characteristic. If I had to pick something that wasn't TOO interesting, I'd have to pick S. alata and rubras. Just not as interesting as some of the other sarras. By sheer volume and commoness, I find D. capensis to be a little boring and finally... In as beautiful as the flowers are, most utricularia just don't have much to show when not in flower.

I'm not a fan of all the vft cultivars out there (dentate traps cultivar group is a big one) yet I grow a few just because I can ;) , utricularia that just don't flower, and a few of the Petiolaris-Complex sundews (certainly not Paradoxa, I think that one looks great) because most of them look the same, are too hairy and have almost non-existent traps. Also the D. falconeri that look like a really messed-up VFT.

Queensland sundews (prolifera, adelae, schizandra) have a pretty ugly leaf shape IMO, and for all the effort put into giving them huge amounts of humidity and everything else, they don't give much back. Flat and wide leaves that dry up if given a slight change in humidity are not my thing :p

S. alata is one sarr I don't really like, it looks boring. However the black form is ok

I think pings are boring. There, I said it.

alright, I have changed my mind... :p I think the only CP I actually don't like is drosera kenneallyi. I don't dislike any others, but I'm not a huge fan of pings, S. alata and genlisea. I'm also not a huge fan of dionaea dentata and most of the green forms.

Back