What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I Unreasonable?

Opinions wanted:

Ordered two small plants from an online vendor and after two weeks the in-stock items still have not shipped. Emailed to cancel the order and their response was that I would be charged a 15% restocking fee. I feel two weeks to ship two plants 400 miles is plenty-o-time. If there was some sort of issue, email me and we'll work something out. Never heard a word.

I'm all about customer service. If it ain't there, regardless of price, I'm shopping elsewhere. To hit me w/ a restocking fee on something I never received is insulting....

So, am I overreacting? :crazy:

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
nope i would be angry to :(

Did they tell you why they've not shipped? I would start by asking what the cause for the delay is (after all, it's the holiday season, they could be behind on their orders), secondly I would ask what the ETA is for the plants. If they miss that date, then I would consider talking to my credit card company to put a stop payment/refund request due to failure to deliver. Give them a chance first though, they may have a good reason for delaying.

who knows, theres plenty of places who watch the weather around the country and try to ship within more favorable conditions. Considering alot of the country was just hit by a ridiculous blizzard who knows what their reasoning was/is.

the most upsetting thing would be the lack of communication... but i'd have waited to see why it was held up before i'd freak out i think.

meh? your call

While you aren't being unreasonable, I think Brokken is right; you'll catch more flies with honey. (The suggestion about calling your bank is also a good one - assuming the money hasn't yet left your account many banks are happy to oblige.) But also - and you probably already know this - scope out some reviews before placing items with internet vendors. I believe I've heard similar stories from other folks.
~Joe

Agreed, Brokken. Again, for me, this comes down to customer service. In the future I will inquire about when delivery can be expected. I checked their site to see if there was any verbiage regarding shipping times but didn't see anything. If they had contacted me and said, 'we're slammed, please be patient...', then no worries. Communication works wonders. However, if I'm in business and someone contacts me w/ a legitimate gripe, I ain't going to guarantee that this person will never buy from me again by responding w/ a restocking fee, I'm trying to win them back and make things right.

What plants were they? It might of been something with the tempature of your area or theirs.

Not sure about the bank route. The credit card was charged on the day the order was placed. Then again, most credit cards are pretty good at fighting charges for their cardholders.

I have been waiting for my black truncatas, a hamata, and a diatas since early November due to inclement weather.

But the difference here is that I have been adequately notified of the delay and the reasons for it so I totally understand. You are right that communication is key.

I would suggest working out getting the plants so you are not charged the re-stocking fee and never order from them again if this experience has left you sour. There are plenty of other places to get the plants you are after.

I have never Had any problems with them. In fact i think he is a very very honest person an a pleasure to deal with

Ditto with what CN said. I have sometimes had to prod a couple times for a response, but there is usually something to warrant a delay.

I don't think you are being too unreasonable, however I think you should cut some slack due to the time of year. People that run businesses have families they want to spend time with too.

I don't think a 15% restocking fee is unreasonable either considering the paperwork and the service charges the credit card company will hit them with.

He only processes orders on Saturdays. A week or two delay is not unusual for him to fulfill orders. I came across a thread on another forum of someone complaining about a two week delay. Others said the same as I just did and that he always delivers. A few days later the thread started said the order was delivered.

I gather he took a full time job during the week to make ends meet. If you think they're getting rich selling CPs think again (just ask Andrew).

Email is not 100% reliable. Messages get delayed, lost, misplaced or buried in mailboxes. In the past Kim, who handles customer service, has always been helpful and prompt with me. Next time try their voice line.

I must simply expect too much from people. To think that someone would charge me a restocking fee for something never received is just ludicrous. The reasons for the delay, if any, really are not my problem esp if said issues are not relayed to me. You advertise a product and you ship that product ASAP. It's a simple business model.

Again, thanks for the input. I do appreciate all your comments! For a total bill of $18.95, they can have their 15% restocking fee and lose any further business...it just goes against my principles to reward insufficient service. As William James said, 'The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated'.

Location and owner's name removed to make sure we're staying with the rules of "nothing good nothing bad". The subject is fine as a general topic of fairness of fulfillment time frame.

I don't think you are being too unreasonable, however I think you should cut some slack due to the time of year. People that run businesses have families they want to spend time with too.

Agreed. Although I'll note that I was out in the greenhouse Christmas night packing 7 orders to go out on Saturday. One of the orders came in just after mail ran on the 22nd when the other orders were picked up and it was killing me that I had not got it shipped out yet! :crazy: lol

I don't think a 15% restocking fee is unreasonable either considering the paperwork and the service charges the credit card company will hit them with.

Don't know about that one, I get all of my fees back if I cancel a sale. Maybe I have a better agreement on my merchant account :)

... If you think they're getting rich selling CPs think again (just ask Andrew).

Or just about anyone that sells CPs I would assume. I don't wish to make lots of money, but I'll still hoping and praying for the day that it can afford to pay for this forum :blush: (of course more than that would be nice too) I'm assuming that day will be the day that the loan pays off- another 3 years out at this point I think. :jester:

Andrew

Given Swampdonkey is in Olalla WA and the vendor is within 400mi, I think that inclement weather is probably a suspect cause. More likely the vendor does not have plant on hand (or sold it to another person already) and has ordered another, hence, the restocking fee. Businesses often have backup suppliers through whom they work in order to offer an inventory they cannot always keep on hand.

I would give them a call and see what the holdup is and get an ETA from the vendor. Maybe he'll come clean with you as to what's going on. If not, that's the time to get irked and unreasonable.

-Hermes.

I have bought from this grower multiple times and have had to wait about 2 weeks for my orders. Granted I am anxious to receive them but 2 weeks wont really make a difference after I've received them. I agree that sticking to basic customer etiquette is key if you wish to keep your customers but I also understand that sometimes things happen, especially during busy holiday seasons and bad weather. But again that is why communication is part of that customer etiquette. I've received nothing but quality from this place and wouldnt think twice about ordering again. I would call and/or send one last email explaining your frustration while trying to place yourself in his shoes. "You never know what's going on in his life" is what I try to focus on when I get angry or upset about things like this.

I once bought a rafflesiana and received what looked to be a cutting that had had it's roots ripped out. I contacted the seller and explained the situation and made sure I had pictures to show what I was conveying and he graciously offered me a free one with my next order.
Communication and understanding are key, I wouldn't go burning bridges yet, there's some quality plants over there. Just my 2 pennies.

Communication is something that he does not have time for unfortunately...somebody tell him that this should be one of his priorities!
....other than that ...great seller, great prices, great plants, many great things...

This is really a terrible time to be shipping plants anyway, both winter and holiday time. Combine both for some really bad times. I've done plenty of business with this guy years ago and haven't had any problems, though I almost always quit ordering live plants from Oct/Nov - March it's just safer that way. Of course notifying someone of a delay is nice but... well who knows why he didn't get to it in two weeks. Let me just say it took me 5 months and proof from the bank of payment to get my copy of Taylors Utricularia book from one of the oldest and most respected botanical institutions in the world... things just happen sometimes.

I slipped up on my "no winter ordering rule" this year and just had a big box of orchids get lost in the mail between IL and MN for almost two weeks (8 or 10 days total I think) before Xmas but by some kind of magic they arrived safe and sound and weren't frozen veggies as I'd expected they'd be. That was a close enough call for me for this year, unless someone offers me an N. edwardsiana or N. klossii but I'll drive over to get it! :D

Mar.Ca, swords ,

Both of you Well said

Again, appreciate the input/comments from everyone. In the end I'll do what I feel is right for me. Sure I would have liked a better reception to my emails but....

-Scott-

Back