What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

plants arrived

so my sundews, fly traps, and pitcher plants arrived an hour ago...there still wraped in spangnum moss right now. There half burried in a temperary tank with about 50 watts of light...i know...thats not very good...but its only for another few hours.

so tonight im getting two florecent bulbs, and three high power spirals....hoping to have at least 15,000 k's all together.....question is should i have them right on the lights...or have them half power since they just are comming out of dormancy(said the vendor)

The color temperature of the bulbs (Kelvins: K) don't add up:

6500K (daylight bulb) + 6500K (daylight bulb) = Still 6500K (daylight) not 13000K

But Lumens do add up:

2800 lumen bulb + 2800 lumen bulb = 5600 lumens

I would think the pitcher plants (sarrs not neps I assume?) and VFT should still be dormant for another couple months if they've gone dormant already. But often they get grown out of sync so you could try and get them growing now and let them get their first real dormancy next winter. Make sure the temps aren't too hot. These temperate CPs don't enjoy the same conditions as lowland Nepenthes that come from a hot and steamy jungle (perfect for an enclosed terrarium) so the cooler you can grow them indoors the better, outdoors is best.

the pitchers are normals...not nep's. okay full light it is.

Back