What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price of Priority Stamp Raised

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I went to mail a shipment of plants this week and discovered that the rate changed fro, $4.95-> $5.55. From now on, when I do "newbie packages", I will be requesting that either $6 be sent to me or have a Priority stamp purchased and sent to me.

So... trying to make a whole $0.45 profit off the newbies eh?

j/k :D

Usually we get notified of any postal changes at work (at least to bulk rate and first class) but since we rarely do Priority I suppose they didn't bother hanging up any signs.

Yeah, it went up, but instead of being a flat 4.95 anywhere in the US under a certain weight like it used to be, it now varies by zone. The stuff I have been shipping this week varied anywhere from 4.85 (something in the next state over) to 5.55 of packages the same weight. So if you are shipping close to you it has actually gone down, but has gone up considerably based on the zone you are shipping to.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm using the Shipping Assistant program that can be downloaded for free from the USPS website. The updated program (as of Jan 5) reflects the new prices. You can print labels but you still have to go to the Post Office to pay for the stamp. The advantage is that you electronic delivery tracking for free. If you use your own label tracking is extra.

Rates are also based on weight and the dimensions of the box. Maximum weight is still 70 pounds. If your box is over certain dimensions there is an extra charge. There are also weight tiers. Go over by a fraction and you get charged at the next teir.

Provided your items will fit, Using flat rate boxes can save you lots of money. For instance sending a 25 pound package using my on box from Los Angeles to Lexington, KY is about $57.00. If those 25 pounds would fit in a medium size flat rate box it is only about $11.00.

Postal Zone Chart
Priority Mail Prices

So... trying to make a whole $0.45 profit off the newbies eh?

j/k :D

Yeah.. what's a little usury among cyber friends...

Actually, that extra 45 cents may barely cover the paypal transaction fee.

Actually, that extra 45 cents may barely cover the paypal transaction fee.
LOL I know, that's why I put the smiley. Usually there's someone online who's gonna say something like I did which is silly considering Jim spent who knows how $ much raising the plants in the first place.

It may be fun (or maybe not) if people added up every penny of their plant related expenses and see how much they actually spend in a year. Water. lights, heating and cooling, new bulbs, R/O filter replacements, soil media, pots, new plants, plant books, fertilizers, insects, etc... and divided it by how many plant pots you have and see how much each plant really costs you ontop of the purchase price. Other than a few of the newer Neps I think the care costs would far outweigh the purchase price before long. But then people may never give away any plants again! :D

Yeah, thats why there really isn't any money in going into business with these. Anyone who does it, does it because they love the plants.

Seriously, at some point, one accumulates far too many of a few species and by getting rid of.. I mean sharing with the community, it frees up room for what isn't in the collection.

Apparently, they changed the way they are doing things. It's no longer a set rate at a particular weight. They now figure in the destination. So the price will vary, (ceteris paribus) upon where it goes. Check out the for rates and calculating online the cost:

http://www.usps.com/prices/

There are still the small flat-rate boxes - about the size of a VHS cassette - still $4.95. As it fits...

That's why I use the flat rate boxes almost exclusively.

I normally take home the boxes from work. Maybe I should use the flat rate boxes. Do they charge for them?

They are free. You can order them for free off the USPS website too.

Back