What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter is half over!

I feel sorry for you northerners :( Still lots of cold weather left. It's times like this that I am glad I no longer live on Long Island :)

You lived on the Island? Where? I grew up in Huntington.

Its been unusually warm for the last week or so..
highs around 35 - 40..nice weather for a walk! (seriously! :)

Scot

half over? yippee! only 3 months left!

on an interesting note, did a big loop around the state this weekend.....more snow here on the flats at 2000 feet than west of the continental divide at 5000 feet, that was just weird......guess they got more snow than we did but hit a warm spike last week......once yah hit east of the CD snow was more common or iff you were west of it it kinda started somewhere between 5000 and 6000 feet......more snow headed this way this weekend but temps are supposed to be decent....

blokeman, I am now on round 2 of shots....I used to take them when I was much younger, although I never really felt they completely worked although they did help me out. I am doing shots again, been doing them since last spring. As of this point I still take my med's + shots, and still find a way to have allergic reactions...but I will admit I am a lot better than I used to be, thankfully its only dust, pollen, mold etc. and not food! On the prick test you mentioned I had so many of them react and the worst part was no scratching! Allergies suck, but I've learned to live with them....

But hey I enjoy when things come back to life after a long winter.....and for those of you that ski or board, its a great time to go hit the slopes!

I lived near Burlington, VT most of my life. I've got to say, being here in the tropics is pretty great not having to deal with sub-freezing temps because your skin really takes a beating when it's less than 20 below for a couple weeks. I do miss the snow though.

I don't like winter anymore.
It's cold, no sun, and cold.

Smithtown. Another board member from the tropics lol

How long did you live there? Do you still have our accent? Are you as terribly disappointed with pizza from anywhere else but LI / NYC? Met fan? Ah yes, Smithhaven Mall.

I don't like winter anymore.
It's cold, no sun, and cold.

i dont mind cold and no sun.....makes sense.....bright sunny day and -30 temps aint right :censor:

How long did you live there? Do you still have our accent? Are you as terribly disappointed with pizza from anywhere else but LI / NYC? Met fan? Ah yes, Smithhaven Mall.

I lived there for about 4 years. Both my parents still have the accent despite living in Texas for over 20 years now. It's weird though... I don't have the NY accent but I also don't have a Texas accent. I don't have anything... except my plants. haha

Maine = southern Canada.
Rattler, I'm glad it doesn't get that cold here!
I walked about 10 miles in the snow yesterday:(
My left toe has frostbite I think.

Maine = southern Canada.
Rattler, I'm glad it doesn't get that cold here!
My left toe has frostbite I think.

Chicago = central Canada. It can get very cold here. The worst cold I ever experienced in my life was here in downtown Milwaukee, a brisk -40 degrees. Actually, it has been a really warm January for us. Right now it is only 30 degrees F.

I can't wait for winter to be over. I have a VFT and a p. laueana in dormancy, and stratified sarra seed that I am eager to plant.

-Hermes.

I have experienced -80F with windchills here, but not a everyday thing.
That was at a ski mountain though.

Canada = Suburb of Buffalo..

(sorry Canada! it was a joke ;)

Scot

I feel like the rest of the world has never heard of Egg Sandwiches... besides those crummy ones from McDonalds

And Bagels are just not the same anywhere else

OK, further evidence that I am close to spring where I am... I just spotted my Sarracenia flava sending up a flower stalk! Pitchers probably within a month!

They're in my fridge so I DON"T KNOW what to do!!!Should I plant them and stick them back into the fridge or just wait till they come out of the fridge then pot them up?!Congrats for anyone who has a vft,sarr flower!!!

They're in my fridge so I DON"T KNOW what to do!!!Should I plant them and stick them back into the fridge or just wait till they come out of the fridge then pot them up?!Congrats for anyone who has a vft,sarr flower!!!

Marvin,
sorry, but we have no idea what you are talking about. ???
this is the first time you have posted in this thread..

*what* is in the fridge?
when did you put them there?
when did you buy the plants?
where were they growing before you put them in the fridge? inside or outside?

need lots more detail! ;)

Scot

I feel like the rest of the world has never heard of Egg Sandwiches... besides those crummy ones from McDonalds

And Bagels are just not the same anywhere else

...or egg creams or bialys or decent pizza or decent egg rolls or...

There was definitely a taste of spring in the air this week. Temps in the 40's, rain instead of snow, heck snow was even starting to melt in the mountains. The inversion was blown out, sun came out, felt great. But of course winter makes a comeback this weekend. It was too good to last. Can't wait for spring!

Back