What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter is half over!

Marvin,
sorry, but we have no idea what you are talking about. ???
this is the first time you have posted in this thread..

*what* is in the fridge?
when did you put them there?
when did you buy the plants?
where were they growing before you put them in the fridge? inside or outside?

need lots more detail! ;)

Scot

lol sorry:blush:My Vfts and sarrs I put them inside about in the starting of december and I had the pllants for about 4-6 months ans since we don't have winter here....Full sun->Shade->Air conditioned room->fridge and I want them out!!!!Maybe you guys ccan give me some tips on what to do when I take them out?Need intructions

Marvin..
still need more info..

Full sun->Shade->Air conditioned room->fridge

doesnt fully make sense..

what does "Full sun->Shade->" mean?

Did you have them indoors? in a window? I gather that from "air conditioned room"..
but I dont understand what "shade" means..and you cant really have "full sun" if a plant is indoors..

but either way, it looks like you have made the same mistake that J-Rod made, in another previous dissussion (linked below)..putting indoor plants straight into the fridge, when they were not properly prepared for dormancy..

check here:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120941&page=2

and here:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

for what you need to do instead (for the future)

You tried "the fridge method" but you did it wrong! ;)
dont feel too bad..it happens..
you cant do "the fridge method" unless the plants are *already* fully dormant when they go into the fridge..and they cant go fully dormant if grown indoors..

As for what to do right now..hmm..its not a good situation...because growing them indoors in the first place was a mistake..putting them in the fridge after growing indoors was a second mistake..both have likely combined to weaken the plants..

I would take them out of the fridge, right now, put them back in the window, hope they havent died,
out them outside in the spring, then never grown them indoors again..
keep us posted!

Oh right!
you are in Malasia..
(havent we talked abotu this before??)
well that makes you a special case..

do you have ANY kind of winter season at all??
does it even get slightly darker (decreased photo period) and slightly cooler in the winter?
or is every month of the year pretty much the same?

some quick googling:
http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Malaysia/Climate/

wow..look at those temps!
thats amazing! (to me! ;)

huh..well you are truly tropical..
thats creates a special situation! thats a tough one to manage..

Your temps do not vary at all..how about photoperiod?
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=122

man oh man..12 hours of daylight every day of the year! :)
maybe you should consider sticking to Nepenthes! your climate is IDEAL for them! :)
Nepenthes growers are very jealous of you..

But VFTs and Sarrs just do not like your climate..at all..

(its funny..you are the opposite of most of us!
most of us cant grow Nepenthes easily at all..because our climate is all-wrong for Nepenthes..
but VFTs and Sarrs are significantly easier..
but you can grow Nepenthes very easily! outdoors 24/7/365, because you live in their native climate..
while VFTs and Sarrs are going to be much more difficult for you..because your climate is all-wrong for them..)

ah ha! now maybe I understand:

Full sun->Shade->Air conditioned room->fridge

Is that (full sun outdoors) (some shade later added to simulate a decreased photoperiod)
(indoors in AC and even *less* light to simulate a cooler autumn) (then fridge for winter)

if thats what you are doing..then maybe that could work!
its tricky..because even AC indoors still isnt nearly as cool as Autumn in North America..
but it could work! and it sounds like its really your only option..

If that is what you have attempted, then im changing my advice about "bring them out of the fridge now"..
maybe you should leave them in the fridge for another month...in the Wild, VFTs and Sarrs begin to break dormancy in late February or March...I would try putting them outside then..see how they do.

I apologize if we have talked about this all before! ;)
it sounds familiar..we probably talked about this all in another thread?

Scot

Yeah the last part is what I'm talking about...it's all summer here and when you guys get winter there we get the "raining season"(Which they rain a lot)and well the temperature's cooler and that's when our Vfts get to sleep...Some guys just protect them from the rain but well I want them to live longer (They do live longer if I do this right?) so I'm risking this...sorry for the misunderstanding...YOu guys don't get much asians here right?Haha

(They do live longer if I do this right?)

well..no one really knows..(not the way you are doing it anyway..)
or at least no one on this forum knows..we are primarily North Americans here, and have no experience with your climate..

technically yes, plants that recieve a dormancy will live MUCH longer than those that dont..
thats a given..
but that assumes a "normal" dormancy..which you cant really provide..

You would probably get better advice from your fellow Malasian growers..
if you cant find anyone who has been growing them for a long time..

There are really only two options for VFTs and Sarrs in your climate:

1. Attempt to give them "artificial seasons", like you are doing.

2. just leave them outside 24/7/365 and let them take their chances..
they *might* develope a light "semi dormancy" on their own..but they also might not..
since they would be getting zero dormancy cues, it seems unlikely..

Neither method is ideal, and both methods carry a risk of premature plant death,
because neither method really provides a "proper" dormancy and change of seasons..
as to "which is better"??
its really impossible to say..

someone needs to try both methods for about 10 years and record the results..
(you sound like the perfect man for the job!) ;)
sorry I cant be more specific than that..
you will just have to engage in some trial and error..

Scot

Hurr. It's been in the mid 70s here. :>

Hurr. It's been in the mid 70s here. :>

It's really only starting to get cold here. It's hard to believe winter is half over because my plants have only been dormant since Christmas! :-O

It's really only starting to get cold here. It's hard to believe winter is half over because my plants have only been dormant since Christmas! :-O

Lol, I know, right? Mine have only been dormant a little earlier than that.

Back