What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cigarettes?

i was wondering if any of you smoke, not that its my business, and if you do do you smoke where your plants live? If you do have you noticed any adverse effects? Just curious becasue my parents keeps several plants (non CPs) and the smoke doesnt seem to bother them. Granted they may not be as sensitive as CPs...just curious.

I smoked for 20+ years and it never bugged my plants any. Of course they were behind glass and not having smoke blown directly on them. I don't smoke anymore.

My uncle used to ash in his pots and say that it was good for the plants ("supplies phosphorous" he'd say) I don't know if that was true or not but I never did it to my plants. Especially my $100 HL Neps! LOL

lol i dont blame you for not trying it

depends on the plant......know from working in a greenhouse you dont smoke when transplanting tomato seedlings cause the nicotine on your hands kills the roots.....as mature plants though you can use it as a bug repellent on them, my dad used to soak chew in water and then spray the veggies with it....however just the slightest bit will kill them as seedlings.....

as for ash, a lil ash is good for most plants, alot isnt as its full of other minerals and salts other than just the phosphorous.....lil bit is fine, a lot turns the soil alkaline.....

I thought cigarettes could possibly give solanaceous plants, such as tomatoes, tobacco mosaic virus?

so then what about smoke contacting the leaves and traps of developed plants?

I thought cigarettes could possibly give solanaceous plants, such as tomatoes, tobacco mosaic virus?

possible yeah, in a huge farm where they are growing them for their livelihood it might be an issue....in a backyard setting i aint gonna go broke from it if it does happen.....i also dont suggest doing it in the southeast where tobacco is prevalent as it wont work aswell because some of the local critters have a built up tolerance...out here on the high plains though its not an issue....

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

so then what about smoke contacting the leaves and traps of developed plants?

no clue.....prolly depends....no one in my house smokes, my relatives that do, dont smoke in my house out of respect.....for me its a non issue i dont worry about.....

I would think the mere act of smoking, burning the tobacco before you inhale it, would kill any viruses or bacteria..just a guess, but it seems probable.

Scot

Well, people aren't allowed to smoke in our house unless all the windows are open (that includes us, it's our own house so it's our rule)
That hasn't always been the case tho, and I have personally never noticed any difference plants-wise, although I don't grow anything really "picky" as plants go.

I imagine it MUST have an effect on some level, especially if there's poor circulation.

I just now thought of it, our "smoke rooms" at work are both lean-to style greenhouses with tables chairs and ashtrays and the tropical plants always did just fine in there. And they were subjected to smoke all day long 24/7/365 as people popped in and out, sometimes a dozen or more people fogging up the room. A couple years ago the state of MN said no more smoking indoors at work places, bars and restaurants which meant no more smoking in our heated greenhouses/sunroom/whatevers so I quit. I'm not gonna risk getting pneumonia standing in a snowbank smoking as I wait in line for the cancer lottery. These days the only times I really crave a cig is when I read Philip K D!ick sci-fi novels, everybody smokes in those books! :D

I would think the mere act of smoking, burning the tobacco before you inhale it, would kill any viruses or bacteria..just a guess, but it seems probable.

Scot

Well i was thinking more of all the rat poisons, and other foul and vile chemicals in the cigarettes... that stuff stays in the smoke and if the smoke gets on the plants I assume it would leave the chemical residues.. could those chemicals effect the traps? But then again, swords says from his experience, no... were those plants CPs swords? This is a more CP directed question...

My plants at home were CPs and orchids (but in grow chambers) at work they just have the standard tropical houseplants like schefleras, dracneas, giant leaf philodendrons, ferns, monsteras, etc they proabably got at a garden center and have had for years. My uncle kept a variety of plants from ferns to houseplants to CPs (my first Nep was a ventrata cutting from him mislabeled as "alata") but as I say, he ashed in many of his! LOL

I do recall that the Norfolk Island Pine did not do well in the smoke room (turned yellow/died), though being a "pine" I would imagine it was probably too warm to live in there long term. But I'm sure the constant exposure to carbon monoxide didn't help. They always plant pines along the highways here and the car exhaust kills them within a few years so then the highways are lined with fluorescent orange pines, very psychedelic! :D

Back