What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone familiar with Skype or Xfire?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
A Facebook friend (actually college buddy) wanted me to register with Skype. My kid said that Skype takes up too much RAM and that he has Xfire already installed that does essentially the same thing. Whaddya think?

heard good things bout Skype, but have never used it myself, know the national guard guys love it when they are over in the sandbox to talk to their wives and kids.....havent heard of the other one.....

We use Skype at my work to have video conferences with people around the world. Works great! I have never used the other. The only issue with Skype is if the people you want to talk to don't have it your SOL.

That reminds me.... my wife does online tutoring and occasionally has meetings. I'll have to ask her what they use to hear each other.

Active duty loves it too same with civilian contractors. I just use yahoo/ AIM essentially the same thing..I get my family just as easily using those as I do with skype

I used Skype when I lived in Germany for a summer. It's great, and very easy to use. I haven't noticed my computer running as if it were a RAM heavy program, but what do I know? Really great program.

Xfire I use this for gaming

I have Skype installed but rarely use it. We used it at work for teleconferencing with small groups. Process Explorer tells me it is using 48K of RAM vs the 120K Firefox v3.x is using. It should only matter depending on the amount of RAM you have and whatever else you are running.

Skype is better, IMO. I rarely used it, though.

I've never used Xfire, but it's usually just for gaming.

You'd probably want a smaller memory footprint for games.

You could always install both and just load whichever you want to use when you need to use it.

Back