What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What your favorite cloning gel to use?

Hi Everyone. I have an question for everyone. For all of you who take cuttings of Nepenthes, cephs, etc.... I know that the cloning gel is way better than the powder stuff. I've only ever used the Gel and with great results. I've only ever used Olivia's cloning gel. That stuff works great.
But my question is, what cloning gel do you guys use out there, and with what results because I'm thinking of giving another brand of Cloning gel a try. And are there any brands of Cloning gel out there that I should avoid?

Thanks

For all of you who take cuttings of Nepenthes, cephs, etc.... know that the cloning gel is way better than the powder stuff. I've only ever used the Gel and with great results.

Just out of curiosity... how can you know if one is better than the other if you've only ever used 1 of the 2? I can understand if one works great if you've used it and had great results...but in comparison to what?

Well I have use two different gels. Both with great results! Olivia's was one and Clonex is the other. Both are about the same price. The only difference between the two that I have observed are:
1. The Clonex seams to root Neps faster then Olivia's.
2. I have not had one failure (not rooting) with the Clonex.

Very little has changed in my process of cloning Neps so I don't think the change is attributed to the process.

Just out of curiosity... how can you know if one is better than the other if you've only ever used 1 of the 2? I can understand if one works great if you've used it and had great results...but in comparison to what?

Hi There. From what I read in comparison to the gel versus the powder is that the powder has the tendency to wash off during waterings while the gel will stay stuck to the cuttings vigorously.

Hi There. From what I read in comparison to the gel versus the powder is that the powder has the tendency to wash off during waterings while the gel will stay stuck to the cuttings vigorously.

Ok, I see what you're trying to say. Instead I would say that you've read the gel rooting hormone has a better tendency to stick than the powder. Not that it 'works' better than the other since there are no results to compare.

Personally I have a liquid form that you're suppose to dilute in water but I've never tried it on any cutting. The only cuttings I ever tried to root were in 100% moist LFS.

I would say to use the liquid, especially if it already works for you though experience. I've never used an actual "gel" but an orange liquid called Hormonex (full of B vitamin I guess) I've also done fine using just a plain R/O water soak.

I have used Shultz Rooting Power on Neps and it was garbage as far as I'm concerned - very few of my cuttings rooted when I used it on Neps. This is not to say my exp. was definitive, just that I'd never had such a terrible success rate with Nep cuttings. I always had nearly a 100% success with the Hormonex or nothing but water and an almost 100% failure with powder. I would never use the powder again on any new cuttings I make in the future, of that you can be sure.

Back