What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for media

Hey i know i can use peat,perlite for a carnivorous mix but can i also use

Peat,Perlite,Sphag moss

also what is the best peat to buy

before i bought a mix but now i decide i am going to make my own :D

Greensmix or Premire brand Sphagnum Peat Moss is what I buy here in the US, both are sold in a suit case sized bale for quite cheap since it has no additives. 2.2 Cu Ft sells for between 3 and 5 USD at the hardware store depending upon time of year and sales.

I think in UK and Europe you guys have grades of peat which is not that common here but what I do is run my peat over a screen before i use it. All the fine dust falls through and I get rid of it and just use the larger clumps of peat from the sieve. This stuff seems to not degrade and rot like the peat dust does. Even so, I don't like using peat on many things.

I would say unless you feel a need to use peat just stick with the long fibered sphagnum (grind it up dry between your hands) and maybe use small grit gravel 1-2mm as your drainage material instead of the perlite, unless you already have the perlite on hand. I'm not a fan of perlite anymore compared to the turkey grit I started using. It adds more weight to the media and doesn't seem to promote algae growth like perlite does.

I have used Shamrock peat for several years and have not had any problems with it, this seems to be the same experience for other growers. There is another commonly available brand within the UK which I know some CP growers have had problems with. There was a thread regarding this last year on one of the UK based CP forums.

I heard moorland gold is good for them inside the uk but i cant be sure lol ii will just keep with sphag and perlite

Back