What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad "data slate"?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Is anyone thinking of getting an Ipad?

I like what I see so far. The Iphone most of my coworkers have is too small to enjoy as a web surfing tool when work is slow but this I could play with for hours. I suppose in a year it'll be 1/2 the price or almost free with some kind of 3G/WI-FI service plan.

No 16:9 aspect ratio? No freeware? No multitasking? No USB port?

No way!

-Hermes.

id rather just get a laptop, that way i can install ANYTHING i want
also u cant view flash files

No ports? :(

I have a laptop already I just like the shape and thinness of the thing but if it's not gonna let me You Tube or hook it up to anything I don't care for that.

Yeah, just pick up one of those mini HP notebooks for 200-whatever dollars they cost.

edit- Woops, you posted before I did!

I think it would be a waste of money with no dvd rom or usb ports.
For $500 I can get a nice laptop that does everything I need. I'm sure when they are released I'll see them everywhere though.

so...pretty hilarious:

i was at in-n-out eating my double double, and this dad and his kid asked to sit beside me since the place was packed. i acquiesced, and the two proceeded to talk about the ipad--to which the dad said something along the lines of "they should put a camera on the ipad---or maybe two--and you get to choose from which angle you want to take it", and the son was like "no, first of all the ipad is a pretty large piece of equipment and is not big on portability." the son insisted on the ipad being limited in its uses and mobility, but interestingly enough, his old man saw some big plans. but the whole built in camera idea----pretty frikkin ridiculous.

ok, so maybe it isnt that hilarious, i guess it's one of those things where you had to be there....
happyplz_my_version_by_MenInASuitcase.gif

I say u give it a lil moment to see if they might have bug problems and then take a shot, I like it cuz u can read books on them. Sony's portable reader now have met it 's match!!!

I'll iPass. No camera, no multitasking, my iPod touch is just fine for me.

HP is putting out a model in competition with the apple Ipad. HP slate. Runs windows 7.

Artists might be interested in this. This would be like a cheaper, non pressure sensitive version of the super expensive Wacom Cintiq tablet/screen.

Considering I have never owned a laptop..
or a net book..
or a cell phone..
or a PDA..
or an MP3 player..

and dont feel any strong desires to want any of those things..
I think the odds are high I wont be much interested in the Ipad! ;)

Scot

I was thinking about it as a substitute drawing slate, like larry mentioned, but the lack of stylus/pressure sensitivity is a bit of a buzzkill. My iPhone works just fine for web browsing - I would like a larger screen but not enough to drop $500 on a first-revision product. I don't mind that 16:9 comes out letterboxed - I think that 4:3 is a far better ratio for working with documents anyways - but it is a little irksome that the display they used consumes power to generate those black bars on either side of the screen. Most of the limitations I could deal with, if I had money to waste on new toys, but I have a feeling that a real MacBook tablet running a full-fledged OS X is just around the corner. After the success of the ModBook, I'm almost certain that Apple is just waiting to get reliable parts at a reasonable price. I think that Stevie is getting tired of people trotting out the "Apple's stuff is just more expensive" line, but it's a hard balance as neurotic as their designers are about using quality components. I think the hardware subsidies from wireless providers probably helped push along the iPad release. (And I hope to hell that Apple isn't looking to build any laptops with network-specific built-in hardware any time soon.)
The one thing that does still make the iPad tempting for me is its use as a VNC client. I've already got my iPhone setup to do that, but a full-sized virtual keyboard and screen on a lightweight wireless device would be spectacular. Might be kind of awkward to use something that size with the air mouse feature on my client, though.
~Joe

If only it would support flash or let me use firefox on it, i'd consider it. Lack of multitasking kills it. But as an ebook reader, it's way better than a kindle.

Back