What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooking up a balast 101

Hey guys, so I'm doing the same thing with a t5ho fixture I bought from contractor lighting. I didn't plan on this, since I paid the extra $18 to have the thing prewired, but nonetheless, they did not include it. Anyway, I went out and bought the knockout adaptor, wire nuts, and a three prong cord. Only problem is that the wires in the fixture are 18 gauge and cord I bought is 16 gauge. Will I safely be able to connect this or should I go back to A-boy and buy a different cord?

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Also, I've got the same grey/red wire and I'm not sure what to do with it.. even if it does something, there are only three wires on the cord I bought and one of them is the ground. Should it just be connected with the black cables (which would mean three wires in one wire nut) or with the white? When I cut the wires out the grey/red and black were in one side of the plug and the white was in the other.

Last edited:
Not sure about your second question, but wiring your 2 wires will be no problem. Your plug is a larger wire so should be able to take more power.

the power cord is heavier so that's no problem and there close enough in size that the wire nuts will work fine

My big question now is what to do with the grey/red cable? I know a number of people on this site have purchased fixtures from contractor lighting. Any advice?

Turns out the grey/red wire powers half the lights. How am I supposed to hook it up with only one black wire?

Edit: Figured it out. Had to connect the grey/red and black to the one black wire on the cord.

Last edited:
Back