What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ampullaria x talangensis

uphwiz

jimmy
had this one since just b for i started my lowland terr. about a three weeks now, its growing like crazy , I kept it under a bell jar till now, it did Ok
but its really happy in here .
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1167.jpg
Hairy Baby.
IMG_1165.jpg
And his new brother.
IMG_1164.jpg

grea plant! it looks nice! so is it easy to care for?

It does look good! So you think it likes lowland better?

I like amps and talang is such a cute little HL'er. It'll be interesting to see how it grows best in what conditions. I wonder if it'll do the carpeting thing like a true amp, one of my fave aspects of amps is the carpet-o-pitchers on established plants.

Looks happy.

I got some of these from the supplier but the plants I received look like pure red N. ampullaria to me. You will find they are no longer available due to the uncertainty of the plants.

Those wee pitchers are adorable...You've got a beautiful plant!

I read that these guys can do well in both highland and lowland conditions which would make it an intermediate. I'm wondering whether it might prefer higher humidity to thrive, though...That would make sense considering its parentage.

does anyone have some pics of their species ampullaria, to compare to this crossed hybrid , im now concerned that i got a pure amp ,and was thinking of getting the species amp, to go with my cross, ive been looking at the cp photo finder , I think mine does look a little different but im no expert.

Yours does have a dif shape than a standard adult amp but then it could be shaped that way due to being a young plant yet.

My N. amp "Harlequin" is just inflating it's first pitcher in my care now and it's a young 4" plant but so far the pitcher is far squatter and more triangular on mine. I'll PM you a pic when it opens, right now it's just inflated to a 1/2" or so.

Looks happy.

I got some of these from the supplier but the plants I received look like pure red N. ampullaria to me. You will find they are no longer available due to the uncertainty of the plants.

He got it from me, and it came from Borneo Exotics, and they are still available. It looks nothing like the pure ampullaria.

ive been looking at some pics of the pure ampullaria, and i think mine look's different, it does have a much more pointed/v shaped bottom, and the lids of all the pics of the species amp. seems quite smaller ,the talangensis have larger lids, like mine.
thanks back2eight, I'll post a few more pics in a month for further reference on this hybrid.
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg

does any one have a pic or two of their species ampullaria?
Other swords, and thanks swords.

I do have pics, but I don't have them loaded into photobucket yet. The pure amp pitchers are much different, shorter and fatter and with practically no lid. They are left open to catch rain water. Some people say they are also evolving to be not strictly carnivorous. They collect rotting leaves and other vegetation as well. Plus, they pitcher so much from basal shoots that you can't hardly see the leaves at all. All you see is a big ball of pitchers. In the amp x talangensis cross you can see the amp influence, but you can definitely tell it isn't pure ampullaria.

I was referring to the fact that BE has removed them due to the uncertainty. I am merely informing the public that the plants distributed may not be what they are supposed to be. Perhaps some were released that are correct. Perhaps this is one of those crosses where you can hardly see one parent. I dunno for sure but the plants I received look exactly like all the other seedling N. ampullaria I have, including the plant Jimmy has posted photos of. It should become quite clear as the plants mature if they are pure N. ampullaria or not. As of this point I see no signs of N. talangensis in the leaves or pitchers.

N. ampullaria brunei red seedling
PLPic_NampBruneiRed.jpg

flat of N. ampullaria harlequin seedlings
PLPic_NampHarlequinWRXHar.jpg

its been about three weeks and a day or two since last pics,
here is and update on the (ampullaira x talengensis).
IMG_1362.jpg
/gallery/d/32338-2
IMG_1361.jpg

Keep the updates coming! However, I still don't see a single trace of N. talangensis in the leaves or pitchers... /shrug I think when the plants finally mature it will be quite evident if they are hybrids or not. While it is true that sometimes one parent gets very lost in a hybrid. I can't think of a single one where there is no trace at all of the less dominant parent. It is possible though that the missing parent will become more evident as the plant matures. Certain features of different species express themselves at different stages of their growth.

I do see it though - they have more of a lid on the pitcher than a pure amp. A straight amp has a vestigal lid. I see that these are open so rain and other things can get in, but they are there. Plus the plant is not a tight rosette. I agree it looks more like amp, so maybe the talang just isn't showing through very strong, but to my eyes I look and I don't see pure amp in this plant.

Hello,

I've just seen this thread for the first time - thanks Cindy. When Tony first mentioned to me that the seedlings looked like pure amp I immediately removed it from our pricelist and checked out the seedlings, which were still very small. I saw some differences in the shape of the peristome from other pure N. amp raised from seed made at the same time but felt too that the differences may jut be natural variation within N. ampullaria. Now, it's on my to-do list for our next visit to the lowland nurseries later this month. Unfortunately, there are not many clones of this cross to look at, which makes it difficult.

I'm not saying this isn't a mistake, it could be. However, we are about to release N. x ampullaria spectablis. We have over 400 plants to compare, some of them large now and will shortly be publishing photos of them. They are enormously variable. Most of them are as you would expect but some of them nearly indistinguishable from N. spectablis. That is no mistake, it's a natural variation in the morphology of a hybrid that has a binomial (bell shaped) distribution that can sometimes be skewed heavily towards one or other parent.

What we need to do - and shall do - is create it again and see what happens. In the meantime, if I can draw any conclusions after my next nursery visit I will post the results.

Rob

checkout this newest pitcher ,
this pitcher is a bit rounder , but still has the v shape to the bottom,
the pitchers keep coming so ill keep updating from time to time,
its a very fast pitcherer, what about talangensis does it pitcher this fast one new pitcher about every 10 days or so ? click on the picture on the left for a better look at the bottom , its the same pitcher.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Jimmy. Not sure what you refer to as V shape to the bottom.. looks like all the small N. ampullaria I have ever seen and look just like the N. ampullaria pitchers in my photos above to me. Some N. ampullaria can be quite round and tubby when they mature but many N. ampullaria, particularly the Brunei red can be somewhat taller than wide. I still look forward to more updates.. Sure hope I am wrong since I have a number of these seedlings I am not releasing until I can determine if they are or are not the plant in question. Just on a side note, I left them in the main greenhouse through the Winter since they are supposed to be half highland, and they reacted like typical lowland plants and look absoultely horrible from the chill. Not what I would expect at all if they were half N. talangensis.

Tony

Very interesting discussion going on here. I also have one of these plants and I am very impressed with its growth habits. It didn't lose any leaves or pitchers when reacclimating and it has already inflated another pitcher. The first couple pics of your plant do look different to my eyes than pure ampullaria, but the latest pic you posted... It does look pretty darn close to a pure ampullaria. I'll post some pics of mine here in a bit, one thing that I thought was interesting in my specimen is that one of the smaller pitchers had striping on the peristome. I don't know if that is standard for ampullaria or not. Either way, it shouldn't be too long before these plants grow up and the truth comes out!

tony ive never seen ampullaria , in person ,and pictures can be deceptive , so my perception is probably off.
i will keep posting pics as it grows, and let you all help with the identity of this baby .
Looks as if the main central growth is starting to reach up and out of the pot , could this be the start of a vine???

Back