What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Depot is Selling 10 lbs. Bags of 'Silica Sand'

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
....for $2.41. It's supposed to be used around fireplaces, but I know an alternative use....

I dont know if I would trust something like that from the big boxes..
could be from a toxic waste dump in China for all you know..

I would rather go to a local nursery, ask if you can just buy a small bucket of their sand..
more likely be local and clean that way..just IMO..

Scot

well...if you never try, you'll never know--at least that's what i learned from Coldplay.

if you have an extra pot of pygmy CPs to test it on first i'd do that. there's nothing wrong with trying to save a little money.

Is it white silica sand?
It's worth giving it a try for that price.

....for $2.41. It's supposed to be used around fireplaces, but I know an alternative use....
Iirc, blasting sand is even less expensive and it comes in different grit sizes. In our area, it's close to pure and doesn't add to TDS. Forbes had told me in the past that the stuff around Los Angeles was nasty & couldn't be used. Due to weight, much of this stuff is typically sourced locally.

A few tests:
- visual (it shouldn't look like grains of lime)
- put some in a small cup of vinegar & watch for bubbles
- place some in some pure water & monitor TDS (after rinsing)

Just a thought... it was a new product to me and caught my attention. And do as Ron suggests.

I've always used it and it was fine. I just rinse it because it's dusty.

I like the more grainy kind though because it's larger. I guess it's quarts or something.

I use the "Washed Play Sand" from Home Depot. It's silica sand. It can be dusty, and I even use it without washing it. It works fine for me.

-Hermes.

I use the "Washed Play Sand" from Home Depot. It's silica sand. It can be dusty, and I even use it without washing it. It works fine for me.

-Hermes.

I actually have a 50 lb bag of that in the garage. Since it was a "broken bag" (got ripped on a pallet), it cost only 62 cents. Now that's a deal! ALL MEDIA SHOULD BE RINSED WELL!

I just bought an 80lb bag of pure silica sand at my locally owned hardware store for $8 bucks.

Back