What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thez_yo

instigator
Hi guys - more pics time! Also, I had my oreo finally open its pitcher and a small spider take residence, but it's too dark out to take any more pictures today :-(

tiny glabrata pitcher just opened
P2070048.jpg

and the glabrata plant from the top
P2070049.jpg

red leopard just opened a pitcher after sulking for months
P2070050.jpg

and red leopard from the side
P2070051.jpg

clip working on a pitcher (mind you this is a wistuba plant, had it for a couple months now, just over 2" in diameter not including pitchers)
P2070052.jpg

phal just opened
P2070053.jpg

truncata just opened
P2070058.jpg

strawberry flower
P2050041.jpg

and strawberries working on growing and turning tasty
P2050042.jpg

newest heli nutans pitcher (between 2"-3" tall)
P2050031.jpg

oh, and i just got a seed grown ((veitchiiXmaxima)Xveitchii)Xcampanulata (sorry for pic angle/quality)
P2040029.jpg

P2050030.jpg

Anyone have an idea what the white marks on the leaves are from - some sort of pesticide I'm not familiar with? The plant just came in days ago, and I've neemed it, watered it, and separated it from the rest because it's so suspicious looking. The newest leaf looks brown+crispy at the pitcher end, which is strange (the biggest one is the second-to-newest). It also appears to be potted in something like milled sphag + perlite possibly.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Nice shots!

Likely the white stuff is simply hard water/undissolved fertilizer/etc stains. Most greenhouse plants tend to have this. You can use lemon juice to clean it off then mist the plant only with R/O or distilled water and it should come out looking like new. or new and clean! :D

Clipeata! :rookwoot:

Looking cool. Just wait for some more from that Red Leopard... it should be a good looking plant in a year if it isn't already. :cool:

The whitish stains are mineral stains from either misting with hard water or foliar fertilizer.

Good to know, thanks guys! I think I'll just leave the stains in that case.

Also, all of my nepenthes got coffee'd today with nice R.O. dark roast sumatran, and the orchids got orchid fert, so hopefully I'll have a lot more pitchers and flowers soon! I held off on coffee'ing until I had mostly repotted everything and they all had a chance to settle in (the latest arrivals) just in case they'd stress out with the coffee.

While the stains aren't harmful, it can block light reaching the plant even though it seems minimal I still like to clean them off. Frilly ferns with chalk stained leaves are the worst to try and clean!

After I spray a foliar feeding on my neps it leaves stains like that.

thez_yo,
nice plants.
back2eight,
root feeding is much better then foliar feeding IMHO.

Wow, that second to the newest leaf on the N.[(veitchiiXmaxima)Xveitchii)]Xcampanulata is HUGE!

Yeah it's huge - my truncata and chanianaXveitchii just did that leaf jump size thing too.

Oh, here's that oreo that just opened (its mouth):

P2070002.jpg

Back