What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eBay seller question

• Thread starter RL7836
  • Start date
I've been registered on eBay forever & have purchased a number of items. I may have sold stuff on there also - but if so, not recently. I have sold a number of books on half.com.

My question: Today, I went to half.com to sell a book. eBay/half.com required me to enter a valid credit card and a current bank account. This info is supposed to be for identity verification. While it's annoying, I can understand one but both credit card & bank account? Is this accurate? Is this a new evilbay policy?

I know that on ebay they wanted a bank account # to sell items. I did not want to give them my bank account number and asked if there was another way to register.... they wanted my SS#. I thought that was even worse.
After a day or 2 thinking about it, it hit me. I can open another separate bank account not tied into all my funds just for ebay purposes. So I did.
I also have a CC on file with ebay, I do not believe it was required when I signed up to sell on the site, but that was a long time ago.

I know that on ebay they wanted a bank account # to sell items. I did not want to give them my bank account number and asked if there was another way to register.... they wanted my SS#. I thought that was even worse.
After a day or 2 thinking about it, it hit me. I can open another separate bank account not tied into all my funds just for ebay purposes. So I did.
I also have a CC on file with ebay, I do not believe it was required when I signed up to sell on the site, but that was a long time ago.
Thanks for the info - I realized after I posted that this was an option - however a bit of a pain since I sell so few things. I have trouble believing they require both a credit card & a bank account. One of my sons lost over $2500 when a hacker emptied his bank account. Nice time to find out that debit cards do not have the same protection as credit cards. The banks like to say that you are protected but in reality that's only if they're in a good mood that day. It turns out that, unlike credit cards, they have no obligation to protect customers from fraud. Since this occurred, I've been very reluctant to give out any bank account info.... :nono:

i set my ebay up with my paypal account.....i dont recall any questions for SS#, or CC#/Bank Account

Thanks for the info - I realized after I posted that this was an option - however a bit of a pain since I sell so few things. I have trouble believing they require both a credit card & a bank account. One of my sons lost over $2500 when a hacker emptied his bank account. Nice time to find out that debit cards do not have the same protection as credit cards. The banks like to say that you are protected but in reality that's only if they're in a good mood that day. It turns out that, unlike credit cards, they have no obligation to protect customers from fraud. Since this occurred, I've been very reluctant to give out any bank account info.... :nono:
2500 that sucks.
That is why I set up the new one with only $25.00 sitting in it at all times.

Back