What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travelling to British Columbia - question

I will be travelling to British Columbia in May, to Victoria and then Tofino. I was just wondering if anyone on here has gone there before, from the U.S. We just got our tax return, so we're gonna buy our plane tickets soon. We are trying to figure out the best way to get there. We will be flying out of Minneapolis. Definitely cheaper to get plane tickets to Seattle than to Victoria, but then you have to factor in rental car and ferry costs. Just wondering if anyone has any tips...

...but then you have to factor in rental car and ferry costs.
You may also need to factor in some additional time ... I have no experience over there but I know crossing into Canada (& back) in the Thousand-Island area of upper NY state (& lower Ontario) can be a real chore if you're crossing at peak times - think tourist - in the summer - Fri nights & Sat mornings can have a multi-hour wait as the lines of cars creep toward the border.

When I went with family, we drove up to Anacortes and took the ferry through the San Juan Islands and then drove down to Victoria from Sidney. It was long and pricey, but pleasant especially if you're a road-trip kind of person.

If you do fly into Sea-Tac, there's that way or you could drive to Port Angeles and take a ferry across the Strait.

OR there is also a direct Seattle-Victoria ferry, but it's passenger only. However you could take the light-rail up from Sea-Tac and then bus to the ferry terminal, eliminating the need for a car...I would think. (I live north of Seattle so I'm not super familiar with the transportation on the southern side.)

Frankly, flying directly into Victoria does sound like a lot less hassle!..hahaha

Anyways, I hope some part of that was helpful!
And sorry if you've already researched all of this and I'm just yakking your ear off! ;)

ive been to victoria through port angelas ferrys not the seattle ones so i couldnt tell you for sure...but victoria is a great city, enjoy your stay there.

I will be travelling to British Columbia in May, to Victoria and then Tofino. I was just wondering if anyone on here has gone there before, from the U.S. We just got our tax return, so we're gonna buy our plane tickets soon. We are trying to figure out the best way to get there. We will be flying out of Minneapolis. Definitely cheaper to get plane tickets to Seattle than to Victoria, but then you have to factor in rental car and ferry costs. Just wondering if anyone has any tips...

I grew in Vancouver and my family would spend their summers on Vancouver Island--I have an aunt who lives there. There's a few ways you can get there. Here are your possible routes:

(a) Take a plane to Seattle, take the ferry to Victoria, rent a car in Victoria.
(b) Take a plane to Vancouver International Airport (YVR), rent a car, drive to Horseshoe Bay and then take the ferry either to Victoria or Nanaimo. This will take a bit longer, but the route is very scenic.
(c) Take a plane to Seattle, rent a car, drive to Tawassen, then take ferry to Victoria. (not recommended: the drive is long and the border crossing here is very congested).

Just a heads up. Tofino itself has a lot of poverty especially among the native american population. It is not uncommon to see public drunkenness. However, Ucluelet can be gorgeous. Be sure to visit Long Beach between the two towns. There should be several points of public access between them. The beach is some of the most beautiful scenery that you will ever see. Also, if you are going in May, expect rain. Lots of rain. The driest months in BC are July and August. Plan accordingly.

I hope you have a good time.... :-D

-Hermes.

Back