What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This Is Truly an Epic Fail

Polish newspaper claims 'Pedobear' is 2010 Vancouver Olympic mascot
A Polish newspaper mistakenly identified "Pedobear", a notorious internet meme, as one of the mascots of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

By Matthew Moore
Published: 9:37AM GMT 08 Feb 2010

The incorrect mascot is on the far right
The Gazeta Olsztynska published an image showing the bear alongside genuine Olympic mascots Quatchi, Sumi, Miga and Mukmuk to illustrate a feature about the Games.
It appears that the newspaper lifted the picture from Google Images, unaware that it had been created as a prank by Michael Barrick, a Canadian artist and graphic designer.

Pedobear, who is on the far right of the picture, was originally devised by members of the anarchic 4chan message board as a way of mocking users who expressed a sexual interest in young people.
Since then a tasteless internet trend – or meme – has emerged in which users insert the bear into other photos in a contest to create the most inappropriate composite image.
On his blog yesterday Mr Barrick wrote that online amusement about the newspaper's error had sparked a surge of interest in his artwork, and hinted that the financial burden of the Games on Canadian taxpayers was the motivation for his mischievous creation.
He wrote: "There seems to be a Tweet about this coming up every minute or two. The day before this started I was amused by the 27,000 hits I got in January. Yesterday alone I got 120,000 (with about one third coming from Poland) and today is looking like it will top that by at least double."
He added: "Maybe I'll just keep the money to help cover the price gouging, raised taxes, disappearing arts funding, and all the other "benefits" we Vancouverites are getting from the games that are kicking me in the back pocket."
The four genuine mascots of the Vancouver Olympics and Paralympics were inspired by traditional native creatures.

bear_1573909c.jpg

hahahaha it is definetly an epic fail :-))

Wow...they didn't think something looked a little... weird about that picture? lol

Maybe next time they'll research a little more thoroughly.

Haha, I saw that also. Whoever added him to the graphic should be canned for not passing Research 101.

Old, but still an lol.

LOL. How does that even happen?!

ROFL! Definately an epic F41l!

It just had to be a polish newspaper didn't it. LOL.

Hilarious! :-))

...That's the creepiest and funniest thing I've heard in weeks! :-O

This whole pedophile-bear scandal supports the theory that The Number One Threat to America continues to be...
bears.jpg

bears! :)

i hate what pedobear stands for, but at the same time i lol every time i see a pedo bear photo, i used to be a huge 4chan person, so it has sparked many of lulz in my life, since half the time anyone posts anything with him, it becomes more of a "ITT, pedobear pictures" sorta thing where someone has photoshopped pedobear into a photo of a child running or something to that effect. but indeed, this was quite the fail and has no doubt sparked interest in pedos around the world......

i hate what pedobear stands for, but at the same time i lol every time i see a pedo bear photo...

Haha, I know what you mean. Pedobear is horrible, but the pictures can be really funny and you can't help it. xD

Ahaha For the Win!

Back