What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

neighborly disputes gone wrong

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
no one should have to feel scared living in their own house. talk to the police...you could ask them to meet somewhere else, not close to your house, if your scared about your neighbors finding out. like everyone said, sooner is better.

what do you mean the police do nothing? you mean not doing their job? what's the crime rate in your neighborhood?

I just got clubbed in the head by a fiberglass cast and punched numerous times for asking some punk kids next door to turn it down. They either have loud music going or are screaming at each other.
One came over and sucker clubed me with his cast. I can't call the cops because of retribution from them.
the whole left side of my head/jaw REALLY hurts.
wannabe ganstas that will mess with me if I do anything to provoke them???
I have to get out of here!
WTF
Arm yourself with firearms/brass knuckles/ bats and take the war to them!!! u say they are wannabees then u show them how it's really done! or u can challenge/provoke them to step to your property and hit them once they do and claim self defense while inflicting major chincheckin :-O

I agree with Scott.

Contact the police and make them get involved. If they don't do anything, go to the station/department, explain your situation, and demand to speak to the higher-ups.

I live in a high crime town.
Lots of drug addicts, punks and wannabe ganstas.
Police reports end up in the hands of the criminals through there dicovery and I don't need anymore stuff here.
I wish I could call the police but like I said nobody cares about small stuff like this and there are 20+ of them.

as much as you think it may cause issues potentially for you in the future ( and it may ). letting them go without punishment is WHY your town is messed up... an assault charge is no joke. at the very least its at least something on their record so that if they mess up again they get real jail time.

let the police know about your fear of potential retribution and have them put it on file. That kind of stuff ups the punishment for them in the future.

its a real pain in the *** but if you dont do it your just letting them know its okay to do.\

you could get clint eastwood from gran torino to help you out? ( really clint from any movie would work fine.. )

Maybe you should jack this guy first chance you get... skateboard to the back of the head!
With a can of Pepper spray at the ready in case his friends go for you, that'll stop em short.

It won't help if you do nothing, they will definitely get worse. You have a better chance if you hurt them, they might keep their distance then.

Otherwise, move. I'd rather commute longer and pay more for less than live in a crap neighborhood. I've lived in a crap neighborhood for awhile in Brooklyn and I moved... couldn't be happier!

Personally, I think it's good to move every so often anyways

This is America. It doesn't matter where you are, the police will do something.
I would be cautious with recommendations here - as I suspect that most of the people responding do not live in the same neighborhood and are unaware of the specific environment. The response I quoted & other similar ones seem to show both an 'idealized' picture of America and a certain amount of naivete.

In a statuation like this where you live in a bad community. and police just slacking away getting your tax money. like joossa said speak to a higher-ups. but that doesn't really change anything to the whole community you are in.. the police can't do anything to 20+ people. It's either gonna be a clean arrest or they will gang up on you worst. install security cam. to get evident to press charge to get them arrested. get your self some protection and let the police handle it or move out.. seems to be the more wise way to go.

If you have a problem, and nobody else can help;

If you can find them;

maybe you could hire:

ateam.jpg

I would be cautious with recommendations here - as I suspect that most of the people responding do not live in the same neighborhood and are unaware of the specific environment. The response I quoted & other similar ones seem to show both an 'idealized' picture of America and a certain amount of naivete.

Im sorry you feel that way..but if you think its naive to suggest that something can actually be done, and instead you suggest not getting the police involved because "why bother, its pointless" then you are part of the problem, not the solution..I live in a high-crime city..a couple hundred murders a year..the police still do their job..

Maybe in Mexico City the police really cant do anything, but I stand by my "this is America" comment..if you are unwilling to get the police involved, I agree with the "thats why you have a bad neighborhood" comment...doing nothing perpetuates the problem, it doesnt fix it.

Im not living out here in norman rockwellville..I know cities..
I lived in New York City for a few years..
we have police for a reason..they CAN do something, no matter where you live..

Scot

I totally agree with Scotty! You NEED to do something! Again either way you risk getting hurt again. Why not do something and help yourself! There are ways of remaining anonymous (and I find it hard to believe they have access to police reports). They are right: "if your not part of the solution then your part of the problem". My guess is with that many of them they are all ready under the watchful eye of the cops. Maybe the cops are just waiting for someone like you to come forward with information like this! If you never try you will never know! Also I find it just ignorant to assume they will do nothing. If one doesn't do anything keep moving up the chain until you find someone who will!

I find this comment naive. If you get hurt WITHOUT contacting the police, what difference does it make contacting the police? Most likely your move to not contact them is going to bring you more trouble because now they KNOW they can get away with bullying you around in the future! I admit take all the precautions you can, we're not telling you to put yourself in harms way! Not doing anything is naive!

I'm not trying to be rude or mean, nor do I live or know anything about your neighborhood! They way I see it you put yourself in more danger by NOT doing anything. If they are as bad as you say they are then what's to keep them from breaking into your house, or robbing you next? Just becasue they KNOW they can get away with it!.

OK, I'm off my soap box now! Just remember that all of us here have YOUR best intrest in mind!

I would also back up contacting the police justs because you were physically injured by them, and you really weren't doing anything wrong. i have no experience with this kind of environment so im not exactly sure on what to do.

you could try to take some martial arts classes just to make sure you know you can defend yourself, at least in hand to hand combat. i haven't been in a fight before but im a red belt in taekwondo, and now regretting that i quit and didnt get my black belt (one belt away, but i would have gone into a jr. black belt at the time) though i also study a lot of martial arts and since i dont do a lot of sports i guess i sort of teach myself what i didn't learn under a teacher. ...taekwondo, taekkyon, hapkido, taijitsu, wushu and more. i personally enjoy them all but just be sure never to use them offensively, starting the fight. Defending yourself is something i think is a great thing to know just in case. pressure points are fun. though i like to know them not to mess around with them, some i have an idea about that can paralyze arms and legs for few minutes.

i watched something on tv i think it was surviving disasters or something. pepper spray equals some type of alcohol and a hot pepper powder mix in a spray bottle. (what we learn on tv) Habanero all the way heard there one of the hottest.

i also agree with just try to ignore them and take action only if they come onto your property, i know loud music can be annoying, depending one what it is i listen to everthing including screamo so it might not bother me as much, but you might be able to block it out with your own music. um i thought i read rock would go into your nep window. security cameras there catch them in the act. im sure if any major damage is done to your collection we will all be here to help you get back on your feet.

Maybe you should jack this guy first chance you get... skateboard to the back of the head!
With a can of Pepper spray at the ready in case his friends go for you, that'll stop em short.

It won't help if you do nothing, they will definitely get worse. You have a better chance if you hurt them, they might keep their distance then.

Otherwise, move. I'd rather commute longer and pay more for less than live in a crap neighborhood. I've lived in a crap neighborhood for awhile in Brooklyn and I moved... couldn't be happier!

Personally, I think it's good to move every so often anyways
Great minds think alike
a skateboard may inflict more damage than my knuckles and bat recommendation, very nice thinking

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

I would also back up contacting the police justs because you were physically injured by them, and you really weren't doing anything wrong. i have no experience with this kind of environment so im not exactly sure on what to do.

you could try to take some martial arts classes just to make sure you know you can defend yourself, at least in hand to hand combat. i haven't been in a fight before but im a red belt in taekwondo, and now regretting that i quit and didnt get my black belt (one belt away, but i would have gone into a jr. black belt at the time) though i also study a lot of martial arts and since i dont do a lot of sports i guess i sort of teach myself what i didn't learn under a teacher. ...taekwondo, taekkyon, hapkido, taijitsu, wushu and more. i personally enjoy them all but just be sure never to use them offensively, starting the fight. Defending yourself is something i think is a great thing to know just in case. pressure points are fun. though i like to know them not to mess around with them, some i have an idea about that can paralyze arms and legs for few minutes.

i watched something on tv i think it was surviving disasters or something. pepper spray equals some type of alcohol and a hot pepper powder mix in a spray bottle. (what we learn on tv) Habanero all the way heard there one of the hottest.

i also agree with just try to ignore them and take action only if they come onto your property, i know loud music can be annoying, depending one what it is i listen to everthing including screamo so it might not bother me as much, but you might be able to block it out with your own music. um i thought i read rock would go into your nep window. security cameras there catch them in the act. im sure if any major damage is done to your collection we will all be here to help you get back on your feet.

If you do take some classes and learn them well make sure u really use it on them to give them a lesson, standing up for yourself in front of the odds can/may earn you mutual respect in the circles of mature people. What I mean is even the worst of enemies give each other mutual respect for they know they next 1 is a formidable person/combatant it just may prompt them to leave you in peace. Many have the mentality in the street that they wanna test you to you limits just to see what your about if you show them much heart chances are they got their answer n they will back off. Well majority in Socal does it this way, if they do respect you for having heart it can prolly be said that they are a step away from being just plain wannabees, hey they understand the art of street estimations :)
But again if they are pure immature the probability of showing you respect for heart are slim, a chance u may want to analyze for possible repercussions. To me i'd give any one the respect they deserve specially when they are against odds, not that I encourage them to be in such situations. Even in some cultures old/new not to honor your enemy's presence is considered extremely rude.

Sounds like a tough situation. I had neighbors who were loud alcoholics and dealt drugs when I lived in vermont. The neighborhood wasn't exactly good either, but I sort of understand where you are coming from when you mention the police won't do much for you / word gets around. Do what you need to do to protect yourself though.

If the punk kids threaten you or vandalize your property do get the police involved asap. Who knows maybe they will get busted for a noise violation sooner rather than later. Surveillance wouldn't be a bad idea, although could be costly to buy...but could provide evidence if needed. Moving is probably your last resort, but could give you peace of mind if this continues. Again this is just my opinion and in the end it is up to you to decide what action if any you are going to take. Good luck with everything.

Are you the only one in the neighborhood who is bothered by them? A crowd like that should have pissed off plenty of people by now and maybe you should find those people. Complaints from multiple people carry more weight and there might be other, more enforceable violations. You didn't mention the riffraff's specific living situation, but 20 non-related people in a single residence might be a violation health codes, zoning or other local requirements. With enough complaints from enough people, something will get done. And I agree with Swords; don't call them punks.

dont do direct confrontation unless yah have nothing left to loose.....you might not know how many of them it takes to beat your arse but you know how many they are gonna use which is a handy bit of info....their is no such thing as a fair fight, its going to be multiple individuals against yourself.....unless your gonna go in there shooting aint much use going over there and since you initiated the confrontation that led to the shooting you will likely go to jail.....

go the cop route, if they dont do anything go to the city council as they are the cops boss's unless your a smaller community that contracts with the county sheriff, if thats the case go to the county commissioners....these are elected officials that tend to like being reelected so complaints tend to get somewhere with them especially if you can get multiple ppl to complain.....

cant fathom the mentality that makes someone sit in their house afraid to go out....i live on a poor indian reservation with a high crime rate, next town to the east beat out Detroit and DC for highest murder rate per capita several years ago and im not afraid to walk the streets over there even not packing anything bigger than my pocket knife with the 2 inch blade.....

sitting in your house afraid is no way to live, do something.....

Buy a gun, don't load it and show it around.
You can have it in your house as much as you want.

Well, you've probably already considered this and have your own reasons, but I'd say move. You shouldn't have to be scared of asking the cops for help, especially when you're in the right like this, but it does happen. There are only so many officers to go around, and in many communities that means that some crimes go unpunished. Tit-for-tat is a bad strategy here, especially in your particular situation. Retributive violence could get you seriously hurt, killed, or thrown in jail/prison - even if you're defending yourself, have witnesses to back you up, feel your life is threatened, etc.
The people in charge are obviously doing some things wrong here; either they're incompetent, or they're ignoring your neighborhood in favor of others, or both. That's unacceptable; screw your local police and community government. Go to their bosses - write a letter to your governor and state representatives. You don't even have to identify yourself. Just tell them that you've been assaulted and threatened and feel you can't do anything about it, even if you ask the police to protect your identity, due to the possibility of retributive violence. Mention that you're considering arming yourself for your own protection. If you've got the time and patience, write an original letter to every relevant office you contact; on the off chance that they compare notes, it'll make you look all the more sincere. Send copies of the letter to the press - local newspapers are good, but regional ones are even better. If you luck out and catch the attention of the media, they'll be able to create far more pressure than a neighborhood watch from the bad part of town could ever hope to.
If you really have no other options, get a weapon and really learn to use it. Find yourself some unarmed self-defense classes - preferably one where you learn about disarming attackers and how to prevent yourself from being disarmed. Remember that if you bring a gun to a fight, it can wind up in the other guy's hands with just one fumble. (The same applies to most any weapon, but losing a gun is a more urgent danger than a bat or knife.) Also, read up on the protections and limitations of your local laws. It's a really ugly reality, but in many jurisdictions it's safer for you legally to kill an attacker than it is to use physical force to hold them off. If you really feel that you have no one but yourself to rely on in this situation, you must be prepared for the consequences.
I'm really sorry to hear you're in such a tough spot. I don't think it bodes well for you that your neighborhood is so resigned to this kind of thing that they all just let it happen. At the risk of beating a dead horse - get out of there.
Stay safe.
~Joe

Well the problems seem to be resolved as I guess it was there alpha male that fought me???
Now when I go out front there all whats up and hows it going.
Weird.
I don't get people sometimes/most of the time.
Peace,
Zero

Buy a gun, don't load it and show it around.
You can have it in your house as much as you want.

depending on how you do it, that can land you with a fine or a short bit of jail time, threatening someone with a firearm by flashing it is a huge problem if they didnt initiate the confrontation.....in Montana i can have a gun holstered to my belt in open view all i want, perfectly legal.....taking that gun out of the holster and waving it around when no one has threatened yah can land yah with a fine and/or 5 to 30 days in jail depending on what yah did....

also there is no point in having a gun if you arent going to load it, what are you going to do if the other guy also pulls one? throw it at them?

dont give advice on firearms if you dont know the laws, half the crap that ppl recommend on here will get you thrown in jail faster than the other guy.....i am very pro gun, very pro concealed carry and most definitely pro killing a SOB that comes after me......HOWEVER never pull a gun on someone you aint willing to shoot, dont flash the damn thing to show how big and bad you are because your going to be the idiot sitting in jail for a week thinking bout the dumb stunt you just pulled.....it is perfectly legal for me to kill someone that has come after me, however if i start the confrontation on that particular day, i dont care what the history between me and the guy is, i go to prison for manslaughter.....

Back