What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hermit crab whodunnit?

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
Houdini, of course!

I had a barrier up to keep the crabs out of the terra half of the tank, taller than what you see here:

025.jpg

Obviously, it doesn't work. :-))

003.jpg

004.jpg

Here's the little devil coming back for more!

001.jpg

I have something better up, until I can finish cutting a better plexi barrier.

I too find N. raff hard to resist.

Well at least you know you have crabs so you don't accidentally spread them to your friend's pitcher plants.

My uncle had a hermit crab for many years in a terrarium near his plants (but not with). It was a good escape artist and quite often you'd see it trucking across the living room.

Nice set up. The sand looks quite a bit low for the hermit crabs though, do they have a place to dig down and molt? If not you could easily fix it by adding a deep container filled with moist eco earth.

omg.. I'd have to kill them!

haha thats what i was thinking :-))

Nice set up. The sand looks quite a bit low for the hermit crabs though, do they have a place to dig down and molt? If not you could easily fix it by adding a deep container filled with moist eco earth.

I have added sand by the time "Houdini" climbed over. That first shot was the first day; I had only what was in the old tank. I think 6-8 inches is good? More in one "mountain" in back.

Wow. New barrier, no problem!

013.jpg

And he brought a friend!

012.jpg

This guy knocked the hygrometer off it's double-stick tape and was trying to figure a way down when I found the two trouble-makers red-clawed.

We went to OSH and I found a great piece of plexi that's much easier to cut. If a 1' X 2' piece won't do it, not much else will!

ok.. this time I laughed out loud!! Nice pic, all snuggled up against the plant. What do you think it is that's drawing them to that side? The moisture & humidity maybe?

The sand is just as moist, and the humidity, if anything, is higher on THEIR side. I think it's the smell of the media.

I am going to get another reflector lamp and put it on their side, and install the heat emitter to keep the temp. up at night. Then I have this short weedy grass that loves it boggy that I want to try in there. I will have to cut some of that corrugated clear plastic to fit over the grass, like an airplane hangar, to keep the little buggers out of it until it becomes established. By then there should be more grass than all four of them can eat in one sitting. Digging it up is another matter. :nono:

probably would be better also if you sloped the plexi glass against them, facing towards their tank---if they're going to try to cross it, they'd have to fight gravity to get over!

Ok, folks, here it is!

The finished hermit crabitatat / LL terrarium:

051.jpg

Inside, left to right:

040-1.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

044.jpg

I love this part, the transition around the plexi:

046.jpg

045.jpg

The Usual Suspects, next.

I don't believe it! The little accomplice did it, he managed to climb a sheer cliff, and was found hanging on the edge, like a little birdie on a wire.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

WTF?!? :-))

Amazing. Maybe you can put a overhang that goes in to the crab side of the tank. I'm sure crabs can't hand upside down.

Wow that's a great little habitat, and one determined little crab!

How many actual hermits have you got in there? Do you watch them in the dark?

There are four. I will post their pictures tomorrow.

There is a crack along one side of the barrier. I am certain that's how it got up, by wedging a claw in the crack and hauling itself up. I will put some tape or hot glue in it. That should stop the climbing.

Rofl thats freaking awesome...i have so much more respect for hermit crabs now XDDD not because he chewed up your raff or anything, but ******* they are like...hauling themselves and a shell up, thats gotta be almost like a soldier scaling a flat face cliff with all of his equipment on his back....and the glass has like nothing to grip on xDD i bet your right in that hes wedging his claw....but if the other one did it too i wonder if its instinct or if it taught its friend ._____.

and in that first pic just up above, i am for some reason reminded of face huggers from alien ._.

Back