What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grow instructions given, but people always ignore it

I have a website with newbie growing instructions on it, and I also put some basic care instructions in each of my ebay listings, with a link to my site so people can read how to grow the plants. But STILL half the sarracenia I sell go to people who haven't read any of the info that I bothered to put up for them.

I just got an email saying I got the plant, now what do I do with it? I'm in an apartment, does it need shade or does it need to be in the windowsill? Hmmmm........

One I got yesterday asked me about putting it in a terrarium he was building. A 12 x 12 x something, I don't remember, and he wanted an S. Minor to go in it. I exchanged several emails with this guy trying to explain all the ways that he was going wrong with that idea, and I tried to talk him into a small nepenthes instead. He was focused on this plant though, and ended up buying it to go in a terrarium. He was wanting me to recommend what type of lighting he would need to grow the S. minor in a terrarium.

I don't mind really, because I get to educate people about the plants (and make a sale) but I guarantee you these plants don't last long in these people's care, and then they go and tell other people dont buy a fly trap (or whatever), they are impossible to keep alive, and yet they ignore all of the correct information they were given on how to grow the plant in the first place.

i know! frustrating isn't it? if this is happening to Sarrs, what do you think happens to all the rare neps and helis?

So is the way the the auction site! People will buy something on a whim because the plants "look" cool! They then assume it is just like any other plant! Just think how miffed the people are when they pay 200, 300 even 400 hundred dollar and then promtly kill the plant! I would be pissed! Then again I know the requirments of the plants and most likely would not kill them! There are some rare plants up there now that are already very pricey. It makes me wonder who is buying those! I'm sure you get a negative mark too just becasue they were ignorant.

I have heard the impossible to grow things before, but never heard anything more then people killing vfts from stop and shop. I must be very frustrating.

@amp, I don't think anyone would buy a plant as expensive as a heli without doing SOME research before hand.

That is frustrating. What gets me is the care and time you put into growing plants only to have some ignorant idiot kill them. Now I have killed plants before, but I have always done some initial research.

I created detailed grow instructions just so I wouldn't have to keep answering those emails. I don't mind that they are ignorant about how to care for the plants, but it does bother me that they don't read the instructions that are right there for them. When they email me I typically just send back the link to my site so they can read the instructions. And then I get mad when they read it but then decide that growing it outside doesn't work for them, they are going to put it in a terrarium anyway.

I haven't gotten a negative yet (knock on wood) but I wonder what they are thinking when they open the box and get a "dead" plant - (sar in dormancy with pitchers cut off). I don't think these people are the ones buying the several hundred dollar plants though. I certainly wouldn't spend that on a plant not knowing how to care for it! These sars I'm selling are on the cheaper end, so people buy them as impulse buys because they look cool.

That's just how it is - that's why I can't get how plant shops can give a "1 year guarantee" on live plants, so many people are often total idiots (and not willing to learn) when it comes to plants.

I sold a rooted/potted cutting of N. hamata to someone off ebay for a lot of money and he unpotted it from the LFS and put it in miracle grow potting soil and it died. Amazingly it survived several months before dying completely. He sent me a weepy letter by mail about how he saw Neps on TV and had to have one and his wife was mad at how much he spent and then the plant died... on and on. I sent him an email back saying "The plant label had my websites address and the invoice said for growing info please visit www...." I didn't offer to replace or anything. My ads always stated "Nepenthes are not beginners plants, it will be alive and healthy when you get it however it's entirely up to you to keep it that way."

But I'm not complaining about selling them at all. It's not like it's an animal or anything. IF the plant dies, no harm has been done. I was worried how I would pay for a CT scan that I have to have in the morning (no health insurance). They told me how much I needed and I was 200 dollars short and was concerned about being able to cover the bill, and I sold 240 dollars worth of plants today, so I can pay for my scan in the morning. I am very grateful, and for that, I guess I will keep sellling to people who want to grow a sar in a terrarium or on their kitchen table if thats what they want to do with it.

Yeah, it's no problem what they do with them. Only if they start to whine when their own willful negligence leads to them killing off their plant. This can lead to an innocent hobbyist selling their extras winding up getting negative reviews for no fault of their own.

On the side I hope everything goes well for you in the morning - good luck!

If they ask what kind of lights they need, you should be honest and tell them to pick up several 1000w HID lamps. (One up top and at least a couple for the sides to make sure there's even lighting all around. And don't forget the A/C, fans, ducting and humidifiers to deal with waste heat.) Or move into a greenhouse. :D
Hehe, and if you mention dormancy, don't emphasize it much. You need return customers, after all. If they really wanted to do it right, they wouldn't just be taking your word at face value anyways.
~Joe

Back