What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is spring REALLY coming??

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Ok so for you people way down south (ie the tropics :p ) this probably doesn't apply cause youre already wearing shorts and a short sleeve. However, it seems the rest of this wonderful country called the US of A is suffering the side effects of what climatologists call global warming. We're getting more snow and lower temperatures than normal. Here in Raleigh, we're about a month and a half behind normal. But anyway, before I digress too much, I snapped these pics today and am happy to see some signs that spring is indeed on its way. You people who are still buried in snow up North, never fear! It'll get warm one day... maybe... LOL Anyways! Enjoy! Oh and FYI, I took all these on my camera phone on the NCSU campus on my way to class.

Vinca minor "periwinkle"
0304101619.jpg

Galanthus "snowdrop"
0304101532.jpg

Crocus "crocus"
0304101533.jpg

Helleborus "helleborus"
0304101533a.jpg

Narcissus "daffodil"
0304101618.jpg

Ok so for you people way down south (ie the tropics :p ) this probably doesn't apply cause youre already wearing shorts and a short sleeve. However, it seems the rest of this wonderful country called the US of A is suffering the side effects of what climatologists call global warming. We're getting more snow and lower temperatures than normal. Here in Raleigh, we're about a month and a half behind normal. But anyway, before I digress too much, I snapped these pics today and am happy to see some signs that spring is indeed on its way. You people who are still buried in snow up North, never fear! It'll get warm one day... maybe... LOL Anyways! Enjoy! Oh and FYI, I took all these on my camera phone on the NCSU campus on my way to class.

Actually, here in Florida, it's still pretty chilly, and spring is late for us here. A lot of people are still wearing long sleeves/sweaters/jacket and pants (however, I wear pants everywhere, no matter how hot).

Also, if I remember correctly, I heard the reason why this year was so cold was that there is a jet stream near the border of Canada that keeps arctic weather within Canada, but this year, it was lowered towards the middle of the United States, letting the arctic weather into the Unites States. Also, this has been a really warm (if not, record-breaking) winter for Canada, I believe.

its weird up here in the northwest we are actually alot warmer than normal....stupid el nino D:

Actually, here in Florida, it's still pretty chilly, and spring is late for us here. A lot of people are still wearing long sleeves/sweaters/jacket and pants (however, I wear pants everywhere, no matter how hot).
Yea, I remember back earlier how a lot producers in Florida were having to put water on their plants to keep the frost from killing them. I don't remember the name of the actual technique. I just know it keeps the frost from killing the plants.

Weather is a strange thing. The way I see it, until my home in the Mountains is beach front, I refuse to believe in global warming. ;) The weather changes from year to year and decade to decade. Sure CO2 is getting high, but I believe that the earth has ways of coping that we have yet to see. Maybe that hole in the ozone in Antartica will move of Europe of Asia and kill a bunch of people off and reduce our CO2 use in every sense of the word! Ok jk, I would never wish that on people. But I really do think we're just experience Earth's natural climate change and that we are only helping along. Some places experienced warmer than normal temps this year and others colder. This has been the coldest/snowiest winter in a VERY long time (talking decades). Boone, NC (my hometown) is at 80+" of snow this year. That's the most snow we've gotten since '59-60'. Heck even Raleigh has accumulated a couple of inches. I have a friend at the coast who got saw a few inches of snow this year.

Here in Mississippi it is still freezing - it was 28 degrees last night and we are still wearing long sleeves. I have daffodils up, but that's all the signs of spring I have seen so far! Warmer weather is on the way though, next week is supposed to be nice. I can't wait to see my sars this year, I wish it would hurry up!

Oh I know! It's supposed to hit 60 this weekend, I'm ready to see some of the early Magnolias bloom. I'm getting spring fever and the weather has been merely playing with my mind. It'll pretend it's going to get warm and get up to like 55 and then the next day it'll snow.... LOL

Wesley, its true global warming is a natural process but when it happens at the rate it sets of an imbalance. Cicada killers have migrated to Massachusetts and when I was I kid I didn't even know wasps that big existed. Earths mechanisms for controlling CO2 are also being destroyed. (deforestation and modern agriculture are big culprits.)

Here we are trapped in something between spring and winter. Its warm enough for things not to freeze (low 40's usually), but there is a constant stream of snow falling to the ground and melting instantly. So no sun, no plants, and no way to enjoy the weather. I am going to Florida in 4 days and hopefully mid to upper 70's is as warm as I remember it. :p

This has definitely got to be the warmest I've ever seen up here in Mtl, Canada...

There was sun! In February! Today, it was above freezing...and there were also some periods in February where it was above freezing.

The snow is melting too...about half my backyard has no snow on it at all :0o:

Kinda scary, considering if this is what's happening in spring, what will it be like in the summer?

FYI it's not just the United States. Northern hemisphere temperatures on average have been lower this year.

Back