What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OMG, this is so funny! I have been laughing out loud for several minutes

I got up this morning and checked my email, and I had a message from an ebay buyer. Here's what it said, copied and pasted here for you to read.

DO ADAILA HAVE A PENIS,THERE IS THIS WEIRD DOG PENIS LOOKING THING STICKING OUT OF THE GROUND,SHOULD I PUT IT BACK IN THE GROUND,,,,

ROFLOL!!!!! I sold the guy a D. Adelae and that is what he is asking me about. I can't imagine what he is talking about so I asked if he could send me a pic. It is possibly the root or if it is on top of the plant it could be beginning to flower. This is so funny.

I responded to the guy telling him I thought it was a root but if he could send me a pic it would help, and he did and this is his further description of the thing in question

LOOK FOR THE POINTING STICK TO SEE "IT",IT HAS A RED TIP,WHITE SHAFT,AND A THIN LAYER OF SKIN HALF WAY DOWN.

Pointing stick? This is surreal.
Since when did "penis" not get caught by the profanity filter? I guess that was part of the switch to VBulletin.
Perhaps you sent him a D. capenis by mistake? :D
~Joe

Wow, what a funny way to ask about it! I laughed, thanks for sharing! I have never seen a D. Adelae and thought "dog penis" lol. However, last night a friend came over saw my masdevallia in bloom and said "thats cool, it looks like a vagina." very casually. Many friends have seen unopened nepenthes pitchers and said that those looked like a penis, but that I do understand, lol.

btw seedjar, since when is the word penis considered profanity? or is this message board that sensitive?

It ought to be filtered, because minors can participate.

;) Why don't we save Andrew the time, and do some editing?

lololololol. nice. thanks for sharing this wonderful story. :p

It's a perfectly legit word, nothing wrong with it. It is the word I would choose to use rather than any of the crass words that could be used to describe it.

Well "penis" and "vagina" are proper medical terms for a body part and should not really be considered offensive any more than "elbow" or "knee". Whereas the slang terms **** and **** are filtered. Which sorta sucks if we ever wanna talk about author Phillip K ****. The plant genus Amorphophallus means "twisted penis" is that any less kid friendly cos it's in Latin?

Though I did notice I can post the word *** hole if I type the two words together and don't make a space between the two... Andrew take note! LOL

Anyway, once he sent you a photo what was it?

Those words were at one time on the filter (back from when I purchased the place) they have (obviously) been removed since on a trial basis. It's a hard decision, yes they are the proper medical terms, but at the same time we have some really young kids here and it is not our job to subject people's kids to those words. So as of now the mention of them is allowed in proper context but there is no reason to go extreme on the use.

Andrew

I don't mean to offend anyone,(and I will edit if this is a problem) but I just don't believe minors should be filtered from knowing and appropriately using the proper terminology of their genitals. If it these terms aren't used in a negative, insulting, or innapropriate out of context manor I just don't see a reason for blocking them.

Edit: Thanks for the clarification Andrew, we were typing at the same time it seems. My point wasn't to subject anyones children to anything and if I need to edit I absolutely will. I went back to college to finish my degree in nursing so saying, writing, and typing these terms are kind of common place for me at the moment, I'n not trying to push any boundaries here.

It ought to be filtered, because minors can participate.

;) Why don't we save Andrew the time, and do some editing?

There's been debate about this before. The old forum software had "penis" on its list of banned terms, for which it would substitute something like "male reproductive organ." But that would frequently result in hilarious misposts when people would leave the first "s" out of "capensis."
I'm of the opinion that "penis" should stay. It's the proper anatomical term; it's not lewd. I also want this to be a place where minors can participate, but censoring the actual names of body parts is too much if you ask me. If parents are really offended by that word and keep their kids off this site for seeing it, they'll probably find all sorts of other things to find objectionable. I'm often one of the first people to chime in when things start getting inappropriate, that word in and of itself isn't.
It's about how it's used. I'd rather some people be mildly uncomfortable by direct language than encourage young forumers to use rude slang or try to circumvent the profanity filter by other means.

Though I did notice I can post the word *** hole if I type the two words together and don't make a space between the two... Andrew take note! LOL

Yeah... shouldn't that be the other way around? At least the former is a not-so-rude synonym. Even as an insult it's more meaningful, being a descriptive aphorism for being stubborn or difficult. The other one is just kind of mean-spirited.
Anyways, I want to hear more about what this guy's problem is. Do enlighten us, back2eight.
~Joe

lol... :-))

Yeah, I'm a kid, but I'm doing anatomy for Science Olympiad... so I've seen worse.

Ugh... grade-school anatomy...
*shudders and attempts to repress memories of eighth grade health class*
~Joe

Things are added to the list as they come up, apparently that version has not :p I'll add it though. :censor: heh

Yeah... shouldn't that be the other way around? At least the former is a not-so-rude synonym. Even as an insult it's more meaningful, being a descriptive aphorism for being stubborn or difficult. The other one is just kind of mean-spirited.
~Joe

If only it was used that way... but that word is rarely used without the following hole.

Andrew

:offtopic: (sorry 'bout that!)

Good point, good point.

I must admit, I don't mind using these words when used judiciously. Yes, even the short name for a horse X donkey hybrid. ;-)

I got up this morning and checked my email, and I had a message from an ebay buyer. Here's what it said, copied and pasted here for you to read.

DO ADAILA HAVE A PENIS,THERE IS THIS WEIRD DOG PENIS LOOKING THING STICKING OUT OF THE GROUND,SHOULD I PUT IT BACK IN THE GROUND,,,,

ROFLOL!!!!! I sold the guy a D. Adelae and that is what he is asking me about. I can't imagine what he is talking about so I asked if he could send me a pic. It is possibly the root or if it is on top of the plant it could be beginning to flower. This is so funny.

I responded to the guy telling him I thought it was a root but if he could send me a pic it would help, and he did and this is his further description of the thing in question

LOOK FOR THE POINTING STICK TO SEE "IT",IT HAS A RED TIP,WHITE SHAFT,AND A THIN LAYER OF SKIN HALF WAY DOWN.

Back2eight: This just proves that not everyone one on eBay is an outright "genie-ous" ;)

Hilarious story, BTW. Cracked me up :-))

Good point, good point.

I must admit, I don't mind using these words when used judiciously. Yes, even the short name for a horse X donkey hybrid. ;-)

mule? :)

~billy

Ever heard of the "carrot walking habit" of D. Regia? Where the crown will send out carrot like appendages to support the crown off the ground.
I've had mine send out a couple before, sounds like the same thing as the "carrot" appendages look kinda like that other mentioned "appendage"

As for the subject of censorship, some Europeans I've known find it odd that in America, sex and nudity are censored while murder and violence are not.

Oh, wow. xD

And I think we can all agree that all the "bad" stuff here is nothing compared to 4chan or other forums (like the only other forum I visit. :p)

Back