What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thez_yo

instigator
As usual, I went to go water my neps and prune away the dead leaves and such, and decided to dig up the bromeliad I had put in the yard because it smelled (water tank + dying flowers = GROSS) while it was making pups. Well, I did manage to get two pups off of it - one big and one that was probably not ready to be pulled off yet, but I'll give it a go anyway. They're both in plastic baggies until I pot them up tomorrow (mix is still soaking) and probably baggie them up again for the humidity.
(Neoregalia?)
P3070012.jpg

P3070014.jpg

Anyway, while washing out and neeming them down to add them to the indoors collection, I found two spiders in the big brom, one of which was this lady:
(black widow)
P3070004.jpg

who after soaking in hydrogen peroxide for 3 hours is still kicking. (there was another brown spider which is actually kicking even more, go figure. Must be the hairs on his body holding air bubbles still for it to be able to breath submerged so long).

I plan on repotting those guys and this guy into orchid mix and hoping for the best...
(Vrisea?)
P3070011.jpg

My hope is to get this guy:
(U.nelumbifolia)
P3070052.jpg

started in them so it looks more jungly in my growing rack :-D

So anyway, while pruning and watering, I noticed my ping has funny looking leaves coming out of it all of a sudden, but I am glad I've managed to keep it alive this long! First ping I haven't killed within a month, sitting in a mixture of pumice with 3-4 strands from the bottom to top of the pot of lfs.
(P.'Titan')
P3060028.jpg

And I've got this Phal that's about to bloom, that I want to take to the big Orchid event here on the 26th of March if it opens enough blooms by then, to get it judged for fun. It's being held by the San Diego County Orchid Society, and it looks like tons of vendors will be there unless I'm mistaken (anyone else going? It's in Mission Valley, and it'll eat my wallet alive!)..
(Phal)
P3070046.jpg

I've got a big 'ol pot of D.scorpioides and D.roseana as well as a few odds and ends in it of dubious parentage, from gemmae I didn't think would sprout but apparently did:
(D.scorpioides and D.roseana)
P3060029.jpg

Which is a shelf down from the other pygmies - the more photogenic ones:
(D.omissaXpulchella)
P3060030.jpg

(D.callistos)
P3060032.jpg

(D.helodes)
P3060033.jpg

And the other D.roseana are in the same area as the Cephalotus, which are turning a nice red:
(C.f. regular)
P3060037.jpg

(D.roseana in D.capensis Red pot)
P3060038.jpg

Anyway, so I'm totally smitten by my new neps, and though I didn't grow these pitchers myself, I took a couple of up-close shots because I just love the peristomes on these guys:
(N.ventricosaXtrusmadiensis)
P3070047.jpg

(N.densiflora X KoS truncata)
P3070050.jpg

(N.izumiaeXtrusmadiensis to show off the nice spots on the inside)
P3070051.jpg

And some of my older neps..the N.gynamphora decided to stop pouting and sprout a pitcher:
(N.gynamphora)
P3070053.jpg

And this guy is one hairy beast:
(N.chanianaXveitchii, sorry it's fuzzy - couldn't focus on it because the sun didn't come out today)
P3070062.jpg

And this one is working on a new pitcher...it has nice spots, but I swear the more mature pitchers really just look ugly to me:
(N.veitchiiXplatychila)
P3070065.jpg

And this one's for Clue, sorry it's blurry, but it was rainy all day...
(N.clip AW clone U in 3" pot)
P3070068.jpg

Yow, that's a lot of info. Nice pics - thanks for sharing. Glad your encounter with the spiders was of the curious/informative kind, and not a trip to the antivenom clinic. :D
~Joe

the ping leaves look normal, they go through cycles where they form the tight rosetted leaves and then the longer leaves. That's perfectly normal.

seedjar: yeah...in retrospect, shoulda split this up into multiple threads or something and I'm glad about the spider too :-D

back2eight: oh good. The things I grow vs. the things I don't grow go into two categories: things I'm still keeping alive vs. things I've already killed, respectively. :-))

Back