What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is anyone good at peer-reviewing Biology papers? I need some help lol.

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Hey guys. I wrote a ten page (double spaced) rough draft for my Plant Physiology class last night and submitted it for peer-review in my class. The class is writing intensive and this paper is a big deal for the class. The semester is halfway through and we're just now submitting the rough draft, and it's due in about seven weeks. I'm posting this because I won't get any feedback from the person reviewing my paper until Spring break is over in a week, and also because I figured there's a good chance that some of you guys could do a better job at reviewing my draft than my classmate because after all, he's still an undergrad like me.

The paper is all about Triphyophyllum and it's relationship to the other carnivorous taxa (as well as Ancistrocladaceae) in the order Caryophylles. In the paper I talk about it's three-stage growth habit, compare and contrast it's morphology to Nepenthes, Drosera and Drosophyllum with a focus on distinguishing it from Drosera and reinforcing the similarities that highlight it's relationship to Drosophyllum based based primarily on glandular characteristics, talk about the presence of shared phytochemicals within all the carnivorous taxa in the Caryophylles as well as a few plants sharing those phytochemicals in it's sister clade, talk a little about it's possible evolutionary history and how may have given rise to lineages eventually producing Nepenthes, Triphyophyllum (and Ancistrocladus) and Drosophyllum, and talk a little bit about the closest sister clade containing the genus Plumbago in which some genera contain the same phytochemicals and produce glands which trap insects for defense. I also compare and contrast the different environments the aforementioned plants grow in and try to elaborate on the heterophylly in T. peltatum and explain the purpose of it's heterophylly in relation to nutrient availability and seasonal variation (... out of breath lol.)

In a nutshell, this is my first upper-level Biology paper, I'm good at Bio but suck when it comes to writing. If anyone would like to read my rough draft (it's pretty rough lol) and give advice, point out strengths and weaknesses, suggests ways to edit, etc. I'd be very appreciative., I'd also, of course acknowledge your contribution when it's time to submit my final draft in about seven weeks.

Normally I wouldn't make a thread asking for paper-writing advice, but I figured it would be appropriate considering the topic. PM me if you seriously want to peer-review and I'll send it to you. It's ten pages double spaced and about 2,600 words. I also don't really know how to end it lol; it's missing a concluding paragraph.

i definitely feel your pain on that one clint. in addition to me sucking at writing essays and papers in general, i hate that everything that i learned in writting classes are pretty much useless when it comes to writing a scientific journal. no worries though! most scientific papers that are published are poorly written anyways. lol.

i shot yah a pm with a thought Clint.....

I am going to read rattler's mind ( :p ) Drop me a line Clint, you still have my email addy?

Back