What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

magnifying glass + cool white fluorescent light bulb

Indigo

Learning How To Multiply
Have anyone tried this? by using a magnifying glass on a light bulb to magnify the light intensity to a plant? It would be a cool experiment.. :banana2:

of course to magnify the natural sunlight = nuclear death to the plant.

the thing though, the magnifying glass isnt really adding any new light intensity, it's just focusing already what's there. that being said, i doubt that a circle of light the size of a dime or smaller is going to benefit any CP---unless it's one lone pygmy sundew. plus, i think heat is still an issue.

Yes by focusing more light to one circle.. I think that increase the light intensity since the light is gonna be much more brighter. and I'm not worry about the heat. since the light is coming straight from a fluorescent light bulb, is not like natural sunlight when you can also magnify the heat. I will do an experiment on this. IF: no one has done this :D

A ping would be my test subject :D

What you guys think?

Yes by focusing more light to one circle.. I think that increase the light intensity since the light is gonna be much more brighter. and I'm not worry about the heat. since the light is coming straight from a fluorescent light bulb, is not like natural sunlight when you can also magnify the heat. I will do an experiment on this. IF: no one has done this :D

A ping would be my test subject :D

What you guys think?

It may not be direct sunlight but anytime you focus an energy source, you're also going to get an increase in heat output. It doesn't matter what your source is. That heat wont be enough to set something on fire but I seriously doubt your ping will benefit or enjoy the treatment of by getting one leaf doused with a focused light. If you're trying to get better light output I suggest switching to fluorescents and possibly adding mirrors or mylar.
But by all means if you're just looking to have fun and curious then give it a shot but I think you will be disappointed by the outcome.

Just move the light closer to the plants, or swap for a higher output bulb?

the thing though, the magnifying glass isnt really adding any new light intensity, it's just focusing already what's there. that being said, i doubt that a circle of light the size of a dime or smaller is going to benefit any CP---unless it's one lone pygmy sundew. plus, i think heat is still an issue.

I agree. What if there was a multiplying glass?

And that was the last time Indigo posted on terraforums, just before his house burnt down.
Seriously though I think burning your plant could be an issue.

And that was the last time Indigo posted on terraforums, just before his house burnt down.
Seriously though I think burning your plant could be an issue.

:-)) good one I will make sure not to do this close to any flameable stuff..

Thats what I'm trying to find out... is this gonna work or not. when using a magnifying glass to focus light for a plant. who knows.. I will try to set this up and begin with the experiment asap and keep it update for you guys ;)

sure...go ahead i guess--just dont be experimenting on an eddy...

You're gonna need a bigger lens.

Almost no light comes out of the top of a bulb. If you're looking for greater efficiency then turn your bulb horizontally and get a nice reflector made of super shiny aluminum. People call it german aluminum. In that configuration 50% of a bulb's light is reflected so shinyness is crucial. Or you could make some sort of light tube, but I doubt that's very efficient.

You best bet is to get a higher powered bulb. If you're looking for energy savings go with a metal halide or high pressure sodium. Fluorescent is fairly efficient as well.

I have a 150w high pressure sodium fixture that produces 16,000 lumens. It was only 80 bucks.

Or you could get a fresnel lens from american science and surplus to catch stuff on fire.

actually you dont even have to order a fresnel lense from online. you can find them in the auto section of fred myers or walmart. theyre the big flat weird looking magnifying things you see stuck on the back windows of RVs and stuff

Indigo: i think its a cool idea... you should try it

Back