What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worms!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Where do they come from and how do you get rid of them? Every once in awhile, like when I repot a plant. I see a worm scurrying away to hide. They're indoor plants and I use mostly dried LFS, along with distilled or rain or snow water.

Are you sure they are worms and not fungus gnat larvae?

I believe it was Imidacloprid that Barry Rice said he found (by accident) will kill nematodes in soil. Imidacloprid is a system insecticide found as the active ingredient in many flea collars and Bayer Advanced insecticides.

Otherwise nematodes are difficult to eradicate as there are always a few eggs left behind on the roots to start over even if you repot.

I bet it's real, honest-to-gosh earthworms.

I have the same problem.

I've found a few in mine as well but mine are all outside.

Otherwise nematodes are difficult to eradicate as there are always a few eggs left behind on the roots to start over even if you repot.
I know there are many different types of nematodes but, in general, are they considered harmful to plants?

I just had a dream I found a worm in a pot when repotting one of my Neps.. that's crazy this thread came up the same day.

Worms are decomposters? Do they damage the plants in any way? If not, I'd leave them. They eat decomposing material such as dead leaves.

I see what looks like typical earthworms, ~1.5" long. I'm tempted to remove plants, if I can, and nuke the pot in the microwave!

Nematodes are thought to be the cause of the "brown heart" disease in Pinguicula. Joseph advocates periodic dusting of the media with pulverized dried insects. He feels this promotes the formation of chitinase which breaks down the cellular walls of fungi and the exoskeleton of nematodes and insects.

Back