What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much energy am I using?

• Thread starter Jag
  • Start date
Hello all,

I am trying to fing out how much energy I am using for my CP's I am currently using 6- t12's 40 watt each. Does this mean I am using 240 watts/ hour? (Not sure if this is correct)

Also after looking at our utility bill it says we are getting billed for 2096 KWH which is costing us $262.19 for 129 days. It says that our daily average cost is $2.03. I know its a lot of energy but we had 4 huge events.

Does this mean I am using 240 watts/ hour for my 6- t12's? How can I determine how much money out of this bill do I have to pay for the energy being used for my CP"S? Also, how can I determine how much are we getting charged for 1 KWH?

Can anyone help please. Thank You so much.

--Jesse

I think that's about right, but I know if you Google "lighting calculator" or something like that you can get the exact details. If you're using six 40W tubes, that should be 240W per hour, which is equivalent to 0.24KWh (kilowatts per hour,) which is what your power bill likely is written in. If you run those lights for 12 hours a day, that's 2.92KWh daily, which is probably not the bulk of your $2.03 daily expense (I don't think...) It looks like your power cost is about $0.125/KWh, and your daily consumption is about 16KWh, so the roughly 3KWh for your lights is like 20-25% of your bill. I think.
~Joe

Thanks Seedjar. The reason why I needed to know is because since I live w/ parents and sister. I want to clarify how much energy consumption I am doing. So can pay my fair share. Thanks Again.

-- Jesse

As Joe points out, it's easy to calculate your electricity usage (though I got different numbers in a quick calculation, the steps are the same). What's less-easy is to say how much you should pay, if you really want to make it fair. Energy usage is tiered. For instance, in one of my bills it worked out the following:

Baselie Usage: 288 KWH @ $.115
101-130% of Basline: 69.8 KWH @ $.131

So, the more you use, the steeper the price. If you live with other people (as I do,) you're more likely to get knocked in to a higher bracket. The more people you live with, the more likely you'll be kicked in to higher brackets. So, if you just use the baseline usage cost to calculate how much you owe, you'll be undershooting. Just something to keep in mind.

Sorry if that complicates the issue. ;)

Well thank you Est. I never knew about different tier brackets. I do understand what you are saying. The only problem is that my folks see the lights on for some time of the day and I don't want them to get upset or anything. So I am trying to break it down how much is everyone in the house using for electricity so it woun't just come on me in case they say something.

So what I think I am going to do is give her 250.00 dollars for the energy I am using. Based on the calculations I should be only using about 120-140 dlls. But since like you said we might be falling in a different tier bracket, than ill just give some extra more. There is always extra utilities that have to be paid for. Thank you Est and Seedjar really appreciate it!! :hail:

--Jesse

For the 129 days and running your lights 12 hours per day, for the 129 days you owe your father $46.44.

Figure $0.03 an hour that you are using all 6 bulbs.

Hotrod30

For the 129 days and running your lights 12 hours per day, for the 129 days you owe your father $46.44.

Yup, those're the numbers I got too.

Back