What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new misting system

• Thread starter uphwiz
  • Start date
Yeah, those MistKing set-ups are great and I look forward to setting mine back up again. It has been too long . . .

works just as advertized...huh. who'da thunk?

on a related note, woooooooooow.

reptile hydration chamber compatible

neat set up! I've seen similar things in the grocery store and I've always wondered if it would be possible to get these---I guess it is! btw, is that a heli in there? I though heli's did not like direct misting?

ive been told yes and no so im trying it for a while there is enough room to move them out of the direct line of fire if necessary , they seem to love it so far, but the actual spray isn't that close , just looks that way from this angle

oh alrighty. good luck! looks awsome!

btw, is that a heli in there? I though heli's did not like direct misting?

Heliamphora highly benefit from regular and direct misting. There is an account in Slack's Insect-Eating Plants of the "famous" Heliamphora nutans at Oxford Botanical Gardens, with a description that each visitor to the particular house was required to spritz the plants, simulating the rainy climate of the tepuis and ensuring that the pitchers were always full of water. Slack further went on to suggest that misting the plants several times a day was in order, at least during the hotter Summer months . . .

Devon.B: I mist my heli nutans by hand every morning and never actually water it and it's doing fine months later still...

So about the misting system, do your use tap water? What if you tap water is very high in minerals like salts and stuff like that?

Never mind my PM Jimmy, looks like you've got the video thing figured out. You'll have to tell me how to do it! LOL

The mist looks great and it's good that it works as advertised. Surprising how many things don't live up to their hype... Have you tried it without the Zip Drip solenoid to see if it's actually needed?

Nate the misting pump is made to be hooked up to a reservoir bucket full of R/O or Distilled water or directly to an R/O system but using plain tap water would likely stain your glass with sodium or calcium deposits as well as clog the mister nozzles themselves.

Very nice Jimmy :)

I also agree that regular misting of helis is very beneficial. However, IMHO it can also be overdone (A. Wistuba, et al.) My personal experience has been that if it is excessive, the tips of young pitchers will brown and die.

This is a lesson I've learned the hard way.

Like everything else in this hobby, YMMV depending on specific conditions and species..

Av

Wow very cool Jimmy! If you have the time you should put up a How to: thread. I for one would probably put that method to use ;) It might also be made into a sticky!

Great work, looks like a beaut!

Aaah! I want one! I have some Raindrip miniature sprinklers I'm playing with, but they aren't anywhere near as cool as this. Thanks for sharing. Have you considered a planted/potted design for that terrarium? I think it would look awesome with a big fluffy lawn of Sphagnum between all those pots.
~Joe

Heliamphora highly benefit from regular and direct misting. There is an passage in Slack's Insect-Eating Plants of the "famous" Heliamphora nutans at Oxford Botanical Gardens, with an account that each visitor to the particular house was required to spritz the plants, simulating the rainy climate of the tepuis and ensuring that the pitchers were always full of water. Slack further went on to suggest that misting the plants several times a day was in order, at least during the hotter Summer months . . .

Devon.B: I mist my heli nutans by hand every morning and never actually water it and it's doing fine months later still...

I also agree that regular misting of helis is very beneficial.

lol, I just got pwned. :p I had it completely wrong! Thanks for the help guys!

just watch for the warning signs...

I have a friend who recently started using mistking and ran into the heli issue, another ran into with having his too close to the output of an ultrasonic.
Like most good things, you can overdo it....

Av

A "sticky" is a post that stays at the top and never goes away. My "Terrarium Lighting 101" article from years and years ago is still up on the greenhouse page (made into a sticky by an old Mod) and it's not even attributed to me anymore! lol

Looks great Jimmy, how long and how often do you run it?

I wonder if I can jerry-rig one of those on a bracket or something for my highland chamber....?

Back