What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think I'm addicted to buying carnivorous plants

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Ever since I got my job about half a year ago, I seem to put out a new carnivorous plant order every week. I spend about $10 to about $50 each week or two, and a few months ago, I spent about $100 worth of plants in one day.

My credit card bill is now $800ish, which means I'm probably addicted to buying new plants. However, I'm making $150 a week with my job so I should pay it off in a few months.

But yeah, does anyone else have this problem?

not really.. but I do have a CP trading addiction.

srry i dont have a card :D

I can relate to other addictions but as of now Im not spending on anything really, but it loot wasn't the object ill turn my house to a museum of various interests Ii tell ya imagination is amazing

Dude, shred the card. You can do better than that! Think of debt as your worst enemy...

Wolfn,

Since everyone else seems to still be in denial about their habit, I will definitely chime in and say that acquiring carnivorous plants is an addiction I've had to step away from. That's part of the reason I haven't been on the board in several months. It's very dangerous. I find it best to decide on the plants you absolutely want and only focus on getting those ones, and try and be SATISFIED... Good luck!

Xantius

Wolfn,

Since everyone else seems to still be in denial about their habit, I will definitely chime in and say that acquiring carnivorous plants is an addiction I've had to step away from. That's part of the reason I haven't been on the board in several months. It's very dangerous. I find it best to decide on the plants you absolutely want and only focus on getting those ones, and try and be SATISFIED... Good luck!

Xantius

a gentleman's quote, or u can also look for the rarest cps around and just keep the most exotic ones to save room, time, and effort if the budget was unlimited for expensive plants. It is even more dangerous when your span of interests is very broad, eh remember my introduction page:)

Or you know, you can trade with people on the forums.

Take a break from the internet, maybe. It will do nothing to restrain you, believe me.

Tell yourself "I don't need any more plants. I can just grow the ones I have the best I can." That's the best advice I can give you.

Take a break from the internet, maybe. It will do nothing to restrain you, believe me.

Tell yourself "I don't need any more plants. I can just grow the ones I have the best I can." That's the best advice I can give you.
hehehehe! pre drastic measures can be made "tell yourself" just do it now!

Not having a credit card really helps. Save the money you would spend on plants for a year and put it to something really sweet.

yes, i'd say i have an addiction as well. however, here are somethings that help me keep in line and prevent overspending--

1) space: space in my house is very limited, not to mention no backyard. this for the most part eliminates all possibilities of keeping temperates. (not that keeping them isn't possible, but it's more of a pain)
2) uniqueness: because i have limited space, and a decent amount of income, i concentrate on plants that i find to be unique in physiology or in rarity. quality is better than quantity. finding rare plants may take a little work, but it's not impossible. take a good look at my growlist, and you'll find that i have quite a few nice specimens---all this i have amassed within less than half a year so yes, it is possible.
3) temperature: my climate does not allow me to keep that many plants that require lowlander conditions to grow. i do have a lowlander tank, but it is only a 2.5 gallon tank-->go back to reason 1.

because of these perimeters i've setup for myself, i am almost complete with my collection, and i can tell you that i am quite satisfied with what i've gathered for myself. there's no need to spend money on the more mundane or common plants---however, like i said, invest in plants that you find the most appealing and dont settle for less, the monetary value of a plant isnt everything, but rather your personal attraction to the plant. if you like D. capensis because of it's handsome features despite it being common in the CP trade, buy a capensis, but don't buy it for the sake of buying it.

on the more practical side, like what others have said, dont spend money that you dont have. if you're going to use a credit card to make plant purchases, make sure you have that same amount in your bank account. plus, you'd be sparing yourself from an interesting humiliation trying to explain the reason of your debt to friends and family is accredited to plants.

i've been on the otherside where i kept buying more plants than i could keep when i was younger. as a result of my lack of self control---i lost a good amount of CPs, as well as the money spent on them.

Space limitations have kept my purchases at bay. I still have a few neps on the list, but no space, unless something extraordinary comes by. Luckily nothing has yet :)

yes, i'd say i have an addiction as well. however, here are somethings that help me keep in line and prevent overspending--

1) space: space in my house is very limited, not to mention no backyard. this for the most part eliminates all possibilities of keeping temperates. (not that keeping them isn't possible, but it's more of a pain)
2) uniqueness: because i have limited space, and a decent amount of income, i concentrate on plants that i find to be unique in physiology or in rarity. quality is better than quantity. finding rare plants may take a little work, but it's not impossible. take a good look at my growlist, and you'll find that i have quite a few nice specimens---all this i have amassed within less than a year so yes, it is possible.
3) temperature: my climate does not allow me to keep that many plants that require lowlander conditions to grow. i do have a lowlander tank, but it is only a 2.5 gallon tank-->go back to reason 1.

because of these perimeters i've setup for myself, i am almost complete with my collection, and i can tell you that i am quite satisfied with what i've gathered for myself. there's no need to spend money on the more mundane or common plants---however, like i said, invest in plants that you find the most appealing and dont settle for less.

i've been on the otherside where i kept buying more plants than i could keep when i was younger. as a result of my lack of self control---i lost a good amount of CPs, as well as the money spent on them.

Option # 2 is the best one of all, great minds think alike!!!

I don't want to be overly critical but that does sound a bit like the beginnings of a real compulsive spending problem. You might talk to a doctor about it, but it's good to hear that you're being self-aware and thoughtful about it. Please don't grow up to be that kind of adult... as the child of someone with abysmal fiscal skills/discipline, I can tell you it gets very ugly. Even when your income is in the six digit range.
It's hard for me to relate personally, but I hope you can find greater pleasure with the things you have already. I think you should put $20 away after every order and then take a trip to Borneo in... hmm... one and a half or two years at your rate? ;)
Best luck,
~Joe

I am lucky in that as much I like getting new neps, I am cheap as hell. I am always on a whim almost buying new plants. I add them to my cart but when faced with the confirm to buy buttom, I cheap out and cancel the order. I would have quite the collection if I bought everything i put into the cart. I get some deals on ebay or trade, I am now starting more things from seed. It isn't as instantly gratifying but alot cheaper. Plus I feel more connected to a plant that I "raised" myself. Anyone can shell out money for a nice plant, but raising your own is more fulfilling.

I am lucky in that as much I like getting new neps, I am cheap as hell. I am always on a whim almost buying new plants. I add them to my cart but when faced with the confirm to buy buttom, I cheap out and cancel the order. I would have quite the collection if I bought everything i put into the cart. I get some deals on ebay or trade, I am now starting more things from seed. It isn't as instantly gratifying but alot cheaper. Plus I feel more connected to a plant that I "raised" myself. Anyone can shell out money for a nice plant, but raising your own is more fulfilling.

felling more connected to the plant you raise yourself states deep understanding of the principles on being a true hobbyist :banana2:

LOL, Chezilla is right. I am definitely guilty of excessive window shopping when it comes to CPs. There was a time when I was having insomnia and one of my favorite things to fantasize and relax with was composing orders of newly available items from my favorite CP vendors. Fortunately I simply don't have the available balance for such things! :D
My other trick: convince yourself shipping costs are outrageously exploitative. Stick to the notion that your orders must be $300+ each time to be cost-effective. :p
~Joe

Not having a credit card really helps. Save the money you would spend on plants for a year and put it to something really sweet.

Like a Nepenthes Hamata!!

I just can't help myself!!!

Please shred the credit card. It is a trap, especially at your age and income. The promise of instant gratification for the price of another link in your chain of burdens. Before you know it, you will have paid the price of an edswardiana for a typical VFT.

I got into the same troubles while I was in college. I struggled for 3 years after I graduated to pay them off.

I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey. Of course he is a conservative and religious man which might turn some people off. He does not push his religious views too much as that is not the goal of wealth building. His lessons relay to you the common sense weatlth building strategies that our grandfathers used to get where they are or were.

Wealth is truly obtainable by anyone, but it requires courage and resolve.

Back