What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the worst price?

Nepenthes Truncata for $9

It stopped growing for several months, but it's starting to put out it's first new leaf now.

Best monetary deal- I got a bunch of Sarrs and VFTs from my Wal-mart a couple years back for $.50-.75 apiece because it was the end of the year and they were "dying". I caught them about a week before they threw them out. I shoulda told them that I'd take 'em all for $10 so they wouldn't have a total loss on some of them. Oh well, next time.

Best Deal overall- Pyro sent me about 10 species/hybrids/cultivars of Pinguicula for absolutely nothing a few years back. Sadly I went through a spell where I wasn't much into my plants and I lost 3 species. :(

Worst Deal- Any plant that I have lost because of the vendor.

I have gone through quite a bit on plants... most of them are from trading or for free, but I have been known to spend a bunch on Neps. o.o

My greatest cheapskate accomplishment was/is my Sarracenia collection. I'd say at least 3/4 if not more of it was free, thanks to mainly cp-connection and Brokken, IIRC. I have also gotten a few free Neps, but nothing substancial as of yet. ;)

The most I've ever paid for a plant was $70 for my Nepenthes hamata... it was already windowsill hardened, so I'd say that it's not much of a rip... I have gone through a bit of Darlingtonia (still messing up!), all of which have perished as of now. :(

(Once, I paid about $20 for shipping from one place for two small plants! They can believe that I'm not too happy about that. >.<)

(Once, I paid about $20 for shipping from one place for two small plants! They can believe that I'm not too happy about that. >.<)

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I refuse to buy from anyone that sells plants with a hefty "shipping and handling" charge, hence making money from it. Of course, I bet it's necessary when selling tropicals and such during unfavorable times of the year to ship, but I only buy temperates. Charge me for what it's really going to cost you!

best price was about 500$ worth of plants from lowes for like....150$
or some wholesale sarracenia flava for 1.50$ each lol

most ive spent on a single plant, 138$ for a seedgrown N. hamata
most ive spent on a single order, 560$ ish

Charge me for what it's really going to cost you!

I feel the same way. Although as my business is growing to the point that I am looking to hire help, I can see why some places need to add handling fees. In order to keep plant prices comparable to others, you have to figure in your cost of water, soil, pots, and labor somewhere! Not to mention heating and cooling fees. There's hardly any profit to be made doing this. I don't think people do it for the profit so much as the love of the plants.

My best deal is probably the £6 ($9) I paid for Cephalotus 'Hummer's Giant'. Though the mature Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' that I won (for free) is the most valuable plant I have for the least amount paid.

Sarracenia, how do you become a member of that place? they certainly have some sars I want to get my hands on.

I know how much it costs to run a nonprofit, my mom owns a no-kill animal rescue center. But come on, 500 dollars for a plant is rediculous. They would sell more of them and thus bring in more money if they would lower that price a little bit. But it's their call.

Agreed. $500 for a Sarracenia seems a bit too much.

But come on, 500 dollars for a plant is rediculous. They would sell more of them and thus bring in more money if they would lower that price a little bit.
While I know Phil generally doesn't run a 'bargain basement' operation, for plants that are hard-to-find or unique, I'm generally surprised at how little vendors charge. The recent eddy's nep is a good example. Considering the insane demand for that plant, why not charge $1,000 (or $5,000) a plant? If there's no one willing to step up and pay, gradually lower the price until supply meets demand. I fail to see the benefit of supplying material at prices far below what the market will bear - that's basically just rewarding first responders.... :crazy: :scratch:

While I know Phil generally doesn't run a 'bargain basement' operation, for plants that are hard-to-find or unique, I'm generally surprised at how little vendors charge. The recent eddy's nep is a good example. Considering the insane demand for that plant, why not charge $1,000 (or $5,000) a plant? If there's no one willing to step up and pay, gradually lower the price until supply meets demand. I fail to see the benefit of supplying material at prices far below what the market will bear - that's basically just rewarding first responders.... :crazy: :scratch:

yep......those that dont understand the prices are just those that want the plant but dont want to pay that for it....im guessing they are priced at $500 cause collectors are willing to pay $500......if i got my hands on some through a different route ild start the pricing at $450 :D ......than again i do run a business and i or my wife have been treasurer for several non-profits and understand what it costs to run something.......if you have someone willing to pay the higher price you charge the higher price.....tis the way the world works......charge what the market will bear.....

kinda like when i see the macrophyllas on ebay going for a couple hundred....i sure didnt pay that for mine and am extremely tempted to throw mine on the auction block every time i see one going in that range....

Hmmm I've had no bad prices, i've bought neps at about $200 CDN, but they are worthwhile and came very healthy.

Best price, hmm all?

Rattler- another online vendor has lowii x truncata cuttings for $400, I sure hope they're rooted ;)

Back