What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making humidity, the easy way.

Hello! I this thread I will show you how to create humidity without fancy humidifiers, or greenhouses. It's an inexpensive alternative to buying humidifiers. You can get the supplies at your local dollar store, you may even have it at your house already. All you will need are these two simple materials.

•Something that can hold water, like a Tupperware.
•Gravel

This is really easy, just place the canister where you want it to be, preferably in a sunny area so the water can evaporate. Drop the gravel in the canister and fill with distilled water.
You can also use it as a tray for specific plants that need more humid conditions.
I have three of these canisters around my outdoor collection, it is way more humid near the canisters were my plants are concentrated rather than on the stairs nearby.
It's really easy to make, and does a lot of change, I seriously recommend this for you guys that live in less humid areas, or want to make it even more humid. It keeps the few Nepenthes that I've seen grow pitchers grow pitchers, great alternative to humidifiers. You can fill it up every time you water the plants.
WARNING: I doesn't water the plants for you. It just keeps the area more humid. DO NOT rely on the containers to water the plants for you, unless you are using a tray method, even then you still have to fill the tray every few days.
This does not work in windy areas.

Last edited:
you say outdoors, what about wind factor?

~billy

Wind does lower the humidity, but my plants are sheltered from the wind so there are no effects on my collection.
Please excuse any errors, this post was made on a whim. Please feel free to correct.

Back