What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i think i have created a monster....

busted back and a darn cold winter have kept me from exercising my german shorthair real hard for some months.....have had him play fetch on the stairs every day and he likes that and i figured the stairs helped add some exertion while trying to exercise inside the house.....and he has stayed nice and lean....

well now its warmed up and the snow is out of the backyard....while out of town seeing the knee doc today i stopped and picked up one of those 3 foot things with a cup on the end to help throw tennis balls....figured it would make it easier to launch a ball without having to twist my back to much and piss off the bulged disks....

took about three throws for Jake to figure out i was tossing a ball and not teasing him and not throwing the "stick"......after that he was a retrieving machine.....after bout 30 minutes i figured i better bring him inside for a drink and a rest, he hadnt run that hard in months.....he grabbed a quick drink out of his bowl and started jumping at the backdoor wanting to go out for more......

i think he has a new favorite game :D gonna have to take him up to my parents this weekend where he will have more room than the 80 feet my backyard provides....

I suppose he will be good at retrieving birds you shoot, not a monster. Sounds like my dog spike, he loves fetch so much he steals tennis balls from anywhere he can. He once escaped solely to steal a ball from my neighbors dog because we hadn't bought any new ones.

last summer we discovered he and i could cover the entire outfield helping a buddy that was doing batting practice with part of his softball team.....

We had a black Lab years ago. I bought a cheap tennis racket and got real good at lobbing balls into the middle of the lake with it.
Great fun.

lets see that pooch ,
I've got a cairn terrier, she looks just like toto , and never gets enough of the ball chasing,I sometimes feel the darn ball drop on my foot in the night , and there she is waiting for me to throw it. LOL

covering the outfield at 6 months old
IMG_0589.jpg

fishing with me down at the river
IMG_0485.jpg

looking for birds
IMG_0860.jpg

crashed out at the cabin with my brother
IMG_0853.jpg

We used to have a golden. She wouldn't want to stop until she collapsed - literally. She was incredible:
- she could retrieve rocks thrown into about 3 ft of water (couldn't regularly get down below 3 ft)
- throw a rock in a thick area that you thought was impenetrable by anything bigger than a rabbit - she'd have it back in a minute or two (always the correct rock)
- my boys played lacrosse - she would station herself just behind the goal & retrieve any ball that missed - for hours...
- retrieved the paper every day (took her one day to learn the task & me several years to realize that she'd do a better job than me retrieving it from the upper driveway - especially in winter or rain).

Sure wish she was still around ..... :down:

Back