What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 questions

First, my minibog seems to attract a ton of tiny black ants, I mean hundreds.. Maybe for the water but idk, is this a bad thing? Second, can drosera and sarr seeds do just fine with the water tray method or do they need to be top watered until they germinate?

1. Ants are good news for a while. They are nice food for the plant, until the time where they may start farming scale or aphids on your plants. Ants seem to like moist soils because it's easier for them to dig through and make tunnels. You can flush out ants easily by flooding your plants past the soil level in water.

2. Don't topwater seedling pots. Topwatering can bury seeds under peat or other media, and Sarrs and Drosera IIRC germinate mainly with cues from light. I'd say use a tray.

thank you clue. welll there are alot of seeds in my minbog and I guess I can't flood it... These ants digging tunnels won't harm the plants roots? By the way my plants are just starting to come out of dormancy, so i put ant stakes out to try and cut them back

These ants digging tunnels won't harm the plants roots?

Probably not. Like earthworms, the tunnels can help give air to roots.

(Don't put earthworms with Cps! The castings they give off can and will kill them!)

Trust me - you live in the same area I do and the ants are after the water. It is so dry here that they will travel great distances for a water source. I have them every year but they have never hurt anything. They always use toppled pitchers as bridges to get from one water tray to another until I cut them off. Besides, they mostly come out after dusk and are never a nuisance.

Back