What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, I took some pics of some TC jars:)

drosera x tokaiensis
DSCF0011-1.jpg

drosera auriculata seedlings
DSCF0017-1.jpg

drosera ascendens germination
DSCF0018-1.jpg

drosera intermedia 'Algonquin park, Ontario, Canada' on semi-liquid medium
DSCF0013-1.jpg

drosera montana
DSCF0019-2.jpg

drosera rotundifolia seedlings
DSCF0015-1.jpg

drosera spatulata 'green'
DSCF0022.jpg

drosera burmannii
DSCF0023.jpg

part of my setup
DSCF0020.jpg

Doesn't it get too hot in those jars, sealed and so close to the lights?

Very cool . . .

It's great to see how far tissue culture has come from strictly laboratory settings -- and, finally, to consumers and hobbyists. When we were experimenting with TC in college, it was a bit on the exotic side and still quite expensive . . .

nice i hope to start TC'ing soon, have any tips? media prep?

Klasac: Maybe you can do a thread where you explain your successful process in doing tissue culture and what products to use?

If you don't mind ofcourse. :)

Yes please, I'm really interested in your seed/tissue sterilization protocol.

Hi, no, it does not get too hot in the jars, since they are under white cool fluorescent lights.
Here are some pics of my low-cost setup:
My "laminar flow hood", which you can call it only with exaggeration:) Basically an old cupboard with some walls replaced with glass and flexible rubber shields on the bottom (cut off- exercise book covers;-))
DSCF00022.jpg

Inside, some beakers with sterilant, sterile water and alcohol, tweezers and spray.

The jars and medium are sterilised in pressure cooker and solidified when cooled
DSCF00032.jpg

Then I get all the things needed assembled (seeds, tissue,parafilm,.....)
DSCF00062-1.jpg

And after hours of tedious work inside, I get my plants ready to grow and seeds ready to germinate (if no contamination or sudden death occurs)

Later they look like this:
DSCF00012.jpg

...and few months later of doing nothing they are ready to be replated or deflasked. (here, picture of drosera montana var. glabrata and drosera peltata from jar during deflasking process)
DSCF0118-1.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

...and some hardened plants:
DSCF0015-9.jpg

just wanted to show that it can be done at home with some degree of success if there is a will:)

Wow! Amazing pictures. That definitely does look like tedious work...but looks like your hard work paid off!

VERY nice setup!
Congratulations!
:clap:

Wow thats awesome, great work, i just got a TC plant book i order a long time ago.

Plants from Test Tubes By: Lydiane Kyte & John Kleyn

hope to start reading it soon, its a pretty big book :)

What are you using to cover the cultures? Just plastic syran wrap? I was thinking of using magenta b caps or phyto caps i think is what they are called. Do you use them or would recommend one over the other? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

how long does it take for a plant to grow say at that size?

Wow, great job!

Thanx for nice comments:)
Dustin: I use double cover, because I store the cultures on dusty ground, and we have 3 cats and a dog so there is hair and germs averywhere. Bottom cover is Parafilm, a waxy coating film made by some company in Chicago, IL. This works perfect but can get cracked over time, due to chemicals and UV light, so there is a second, safety wrap - regular plastic foodfoil. This works the best for me, no need for pricey plastic magenta covers and stuff like that.
BuddhistAdam: about 2 months, some shorter, some a bit longer, depends on particular species and suitability of medium. When the medium is not good (too low or too high pH, wrong composition, toxic contamination,...), plants can became stagnant in growth for months and never develop or die.

you have officially inspired me to try tissue culture on my own. Plus the added benefit of is, if done properly you get faster plants! Thank You very much for the pictures.

Few Questions.
Can any clonning gel can be used as a medium or would you recommend any product?
Also you say you sterilise the medium, is that also done when you sterilise the containers at the same time? or do you sterilise the medium a separate way?

Back