What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phytosanitary certificate

• Thread starter Hermopolis
  • Start date
In my move to Canada, it looks like I'm going to need a phytosanitary certificate. Does anyone know how to get one of these?

Thanks,

-Hermes.

2 possible ways. Talk to your State's Dept of Agriculture. Or find the USDA/APHIS/PPQ office near you. Probably at the major international airport. It all depends on what Canada requires. State phytos tended to be less expensive Federal maybe $70 ish and dependant on the value of the items being sent.....

I will look into something and get back to you.

You'll have to leave your sarrs and venus flytrap behind because of an international endangered species agreement called CITES :( You can always buy more when you're in Canadia!

I've applied for a CITES export permit for the VFT, sarrs, and nepenthes. I am not quite willing to give up the neps, so adding the sarrs and VFT was not much extra bother.

For some reason i thought that there would be an office closer to you but it looks like the one I was thinking of is in Dekalb, Il. Dept. of Ag. # is 815-787-5476 . It sounds like your already farther along but if you give them a call and explain what you want to do they can probably have a local guy come by your place and inspect for the permit. No idea what is costs but it's got to be cheaper than getting new ones. Good luck.

I've applied for a CITES export permit for the VFT, sarrs, and nepenthes. I am not quite willing to give up the neps, so adding the sarrs and VFT was not much extra bother.

Federal phyto, cites application, aphis ppq621 are $340. Then you would probably need import permits for Canada. Don't you think you would be better off selling your plants and buying new ones once you get there?

Perhaos thats a good idea hermes, what nepenthes do you have, there are plenty of CP'ers here willing to help you rebuild, and our 2 sellers offer a wide varity of CP's.

I've already talked to (and received written replies from) AIRS and CIFA Canada as well as APHIS and the US Fish and Wildlife Service. They told me I need only two documents: (1) an CITES export permit, and (2) a phytosanitary certificate. These are only CITES appendix II plants; thus, an import permit is not required. I'm not going into the plant export business after all.

I only require the 3-200-32 Petition for CITES "HOUSEHOLD PLANTS/SINGLE SHIPMENT" export/re-export (cost $50) to be filed with the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Getting this permit is actually very straight-forward. The phytosanitary certificate is a USA issued certificate intended to satisfy CIFA requirements (cost $70). I've already received the price tag for a phyto cert for a state issued one-time plant export; however, I'm still somewhat fuzzy on the mechanics of actually obtaining such a certificate--I'm still trying to find a clear guide as to how to accomplish this.

I don't need an import permit because nothing I'm bringing with me is a CITES Appendix I plant. And CIFA's requirement regarding house plant shipments is that I limit the number of plants to less than 50 and that I accompany the shipment.

Gosh, I'm starting to get deja vu in dealing with my Canadian parents, i.e., it might be hard or it might be too much bother, so don't even try. I guess, after living in the US a while, perhaps I've become less intimidated by bureaucracy. Should I fail to obtain either certificate, then I will consider divesting myself of my collection and attempt to rebuild. However, I doubt I would be able to assemble an equal collection for $120. I currently have 45 specimens. It would be difficult (read impossible) to replace this collection with the amount of money that I currently have, and in the limited time I'd have to sell them I would certainly not get sufficient value to replace them. If I don't get the CITES cert, not that big a deal; I would still get to keep 23 specimens that aren't CITES protected. However, if I fail to get the phytosantiary cert, I lose all my specimens.

-Hermes.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

For some reason i thought that there would be an office closer to you but it looks like the one I was thinking of is in Dekalb, Il. Dept. of Ag. # is 815-787-5476 . It sounds like your already farther along but if you give them a call and explain what you want to do they can probably have a local guy come by your place and inspect for the permit. No idea what is costs but it's got to be cheaper than getting new ones. Good luck.

This is helpful. Dekalb is a long ways out. But, it's still close enough that if I need to drive my plants out for inspection, I can do it. And either way, I can give them a call to find out what I need.

Thanks,

-Hermes.

Back