What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ratio of media

Hey everyone what should be the ratio of my media mix with perlite and sphagnum moss should it be 50,50 or 25,75 please can anyone help and if so what should it be in grams ? if anyone can convert it like that

Hey everyone what should be the ratio of my media mix with perlite and sphagnum moss should it be 50,50 or 25,75 please can anyone help and if so what should it be in grams ? if anyone can convert it like that

That depends all on what plants you will use the media for. Sarracenia and flytraps can do well with 50%/50% perlite and sphagnum, while most Nepenthes and Cephalotus prefer a better drained mix with more perlite.

It also depends on where you live and what conditions you grow in. I have grown Neps in everything from pure long fibre sphagnum to pure cedar mulch without trouble, and Sarrs and flytraps everything, including pure peat to pure long fibre sphagnum.

I measure my mix in large handfuls. Does the job well. ;)

i am using this for venus fly traps and also drosera and i live in the uk if it is 50,50 that would be like 50grams to 50 grams ?

50 refers to percentage. so 50% peat, and 50% perlite. same thing with 1:1--> equal parts of peat and perlite.

I perfer adding fine chopped dry spahgnum into the mixture allow to hold more water. Maybe 40peat 40perlit and 20 chopped sphagnum :) I'm sure your VFT/Sundew will appreciate it.

Back