What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So.... Who got the iPad?

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date
as brokken mentioned, i'd love to be able to take this device and hook it up to a network and diagnose problems or log in to servers via RDC and be able to work from it rather than as an organizer. if it could modified to run Mac OS and get rid of that single-tasking workflow I would probably consider getting one, but for now, my old p3 laptop does more for me than this thing ever will(even new laptops dont have serial ports!). as a network admin it would be a nice if it had more regular functions rather than relying on apps, itunes, and the app store. i really thought it would be a tablet computer, not a glorified ipod, maybe time and consumer inputs will change that.

~billy

The machines are very cool (I got to handle one on Monday) and the user interface and design -- much like all Apple products -- is beyond compare; that being said, I am going to wait through a few iterations until it has a camera, can run either OSX, or there is an increased availability of sophisticated web-based programs -- since there is no disc drive an an inability to use most of my software (Photoshop, etc.).

Until such time, my MacBook Pro is about as portable a device as I have ever required . . .

multitasking coming to iphone/ipod/ipad

I don't have a need for an iPad at the moment. However I do have an iPhone which I LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! You cannot part me from my iPhone.

I have been an Apple fan since waaaaaaaaaaaaay back yonder. Apple got behind in marketshare a very long time ago when they refused to license to their OS to other manufacturers like IBM did. That made Apple computers more expensive, thus the proliferation of the IBM clones, now simply called "PCs". In my opinion, Macs have always been superior to PCs. And Apple continues to innovate and dazzle.

If you are thinking about an iPhone, get it! You'll never look back. :)

Oh, and you can get the Doodle Jump app. :hail: Best app in the App Store.

Last edited:
I have to say, Tap Tap Revolution on the iPad is ******* creepy!

I was excited for the iPad until I saw that they didn't put a real OS on it.....so after seeing that I didn't care. Now the HP Slate on the other hand will be mine!

I don't understand the market for this product. Why wouldn't you just buy a nice netbook instead? Runs a real OS, replaceable battery, upgradeable, etc etc. What will people do on this thing you can't do on a netbook?

I don't understand the market for this product. Why wouldn't you just buy a nice netbook instead? Runs a real OS, replaceable battery, upgradeable, etc etc. What will people do on this thing you can't do on a netbook?

Or conversely, why would you buy a netbook when this product does the same but in a nicer form factor?

Netbooks aren't very upgradeable anyway (and why would you want to?). And by the time the battery has run out, you'd want to bin the thing anyway.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I think it's neat, but certain things conspire against me getting one:
1. No expansion ports. I'd love to be able to take this thing on the road to do diagnostics on some of the equipment I do work on, but w/o a way to connect to a serial interface, it's useless to me.
2. Single-tasking OS. Come on! This might have been acceptable 10 years ago, but now it's just sad!

I'm sure that in time Apple will change their approach, but I'm not gonna go for this first gen product.

Sounds like you're comparing it to a notebook! Sounds like you don't need one (neither do I to be honest - I've got a Touch!)

Back