What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So.... Who got the iPad?

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
I had to get up at five am but it was worth it to be fourth in a line. Like 200 people showed up before they opened. I got a 64 gig one and a 16 gig to resell. They had three mall cops at the door lol.

I love love love this thing! My only two complaints are that there is No cover flow and the typing isn't as responsive as I thought it would be. A firmware update from apple can fix both of those issues though.

What do you guys think? Anyone else get one?

And yes I did type this on the iPad . Typing is faster when it's not in landscape.

Noti :D

Though I did want one at first when I heard it was coming out. Is it true you can't watch You Tube or webshows from sites like comedycentral.com on it? I know videos aren't everything but they're a large part of my internet experience.

Can it attach to my desktop with a USB cord?

Apple is really starting to outdo itself with these new doorstops!

You can watch YouTube ! It comes with the app just like an iPod or iPhone. You can't watch comedy central yet but you can get netflix and Abc has their tv shows online you can watch. I don't know if any other tv networks have apps yet. Videos look awesome and load extremely fast on this thing. Waaay faster than the iPhone.

I think Steve jobs will eventually get over not liking flash and let adobe support apple products so that you can watch any video anywhere.

It comes with a cable. You HAVE to have a desktop/laptop to use it because you need iTunes, but everyone has one of those anyway.

Wow, very keen on reselling. Good for you. I'm curious but given the price, my budget, and it's lack of features I was hoping for, I want to wait and see what reviewers say. I'm going to try and hold out and hope they get pressured into bringing a touchpad/convertible OS X laptop to market. Or better yet, some sort of MacBook Air meets Nintendo DS, with a haptic-feedback touchpad for a keyboard/trackpad. Drool...
Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
~Joe

It looks very cool, but not sure that's what I would spend my money on. I think I'd get more function from a netbook for what I'd want to do.

I watched a video somewhere on the web and they did a durability test. Dropping from your lap from a chair onto a carpeted floor, after the third time the screen was messed up....

I'll wait to see how reviews are. However, I may very well consider an updated version of the iPad in a few years when it comes time to replace my aging Dell Laptop.

considering I still have no use for a laptop, PDA, or cell phone..
I dont see myself getting an ipad any time soon! ;)

Scot

I think it's neat, but certain things conspire against me getting one:
1. No expansion ports. I'd love to be able to take this thing on the road to do diagnostics on some of the equipment I do work on, but w/o a way to connect to a serial interface, it's useless to me.
2. Single-tasking OS. Come on! This might have been acceptable 10 years ago, but now it's just sad!

I'm sure that in time Apple will change their approach, but I'm not gonna go for this first gen product.

I'm sure that in time Apple will change their approach, but I'm not gonna go for this first gen product.
I'm not so sure they're going to modify their "approach" (since it works) but their product's features - absolutely. It would be interesting to know how far out they've already planned for added features, but based on history, rev 0 is just for getting warmed up..... There's a long list of easy-to-add stuff that they'll probably include in the next 1-2 years and then there's the stuff that will blow your mind that no one else is doing that they will throw in. :-O

I think it's neat, but certain things conspire against me getting one:
1. No expansion ports. I'd love to be able to take this thing on the road to do diagnostics on some of the equipment I do work on, but w/o a way to connect to a serial interface, it's useless to me.
2. Single-tasking OS. Come on! This might have been acceptable 10 years ago, but now it's just sad!

To say it doesn't multitask is an abuse of terminology. The underlying operating system is by no means single-task; they just don't let you run external applications in parallel. And that's a pretty good design decision for the niche they're aiming at. Multiprocessing is a huge pitfall for designers - that's where most of your day-to-day crashes and bad behavior comes from in a computer. For a low-power device that isn't going to be doing much anyways, it's a solid choice. For one thing, a single-processor device is also single-task in the sense you're using the term; you just don't notice because the applications and operating systems have provisions built in so that you don't notice the switching. Well-made iPhone apps act the same.
Besides, you can do all sorts of things while running an arbitrary application in front. You don't stop receiving Wi-Fi signals when you launch your word processor. iTunes still works. On an iPhone, you still receive push notifications, and apps can actually register hooks that allow them to do tasks related to push notifications in the background in a limited, don't-poke-your-eye-out-so-use-these-round-tipped-scissors sense. The iPhone OS runs Apple software in the background because that's the only stuff they have control over; they can quality check to make sure that there aren't any glaringly obvious oversights.
Still, it is a kind of unnecessary carry-over from the iPhone; if I were trying to make a 911 call, however, and my phone locked up because I had two pieces of third-party software that didn't want to play nice with one another, I would toss the device and never look back, no matter how attached I were to the brand. But I couldn't care less if my iPod Touch or iPad crashed because of some sloppy programming oversights.
I totally agree with you Brok that the first revision is not a gotta-have-it toy. I have a feeling that the iPhone/iPad family of products will move further from computer-type tasks as touchpads get cheaper and tablet-style computers running full-fledged operating systems become affordable to produce. Apple loves a tiny form factor so I'm sure that one day soon the iPad or it's successor will be a solid e-paper type device. I'm not going to stand around and whine that they didn't build the machine I wanted; I'm not the typical user. I'm thrilled with my MacBook Pro, and if it just had a touchscreen I wouldn't even be interested in reading about the iPad.
~Joe

Eh, I don't see the need for or attraction to it. I've already got devices that can do what I like adequately.

Not me, though I am on the Mac side of the spectrum -- and have been since college (that's what we had on hand). I did, however, walk by the several block line outside an Apple Store in San Francisco's Union Square, just waiting to drop a bare minimum of 500.00 for something that will have better bells and whistles within a few months; and those Sunday morning purchases will appear -- cut-rate -- on eBay by September. You'd think you'd have something better to do with your Easter weekend.

It was cold, raining heavily, and we couldn't stop laughing at the guys protecting their heads with empty pizza boxes . . .

Since it's an Apple product, I will have to say "no"; I will not be purchasing one.

When I first heard about the I-Pad i thought it was going to be a touchsceen computer but given its not really what it is.... Is it?
What's really the difference between a I-Pad and a I-Touch?? or a I-Pad and a I-Phone?

I really agree with many, Apple its really starting to outdo its self.
Now for some entertainment.. from FRENCH3z ...... Will it Blend?... :-))

Got a chance to briefly play with one yesterday. It was fun, google maps was awesome as was youtube. Didn't get a chance to try typing in landscape mode. At $500, it's too expensive, I'd buy one if it was $350. I'm waiting to see what the HP Slate can do. So far, it seems it does everything iPad don't.

Back