What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New lizard species in Luzon

thez_yo

instigator
I don't think anyone of you would want to eat the poor guy, but the University of Kansas has just found a new kind of tree-dwelling monitor lizard from Luzon which eats exclusively fruit, and is used as a food source by native people. Here's the article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ant-lizard-discovered-Philippine-forests.html

I wonder if they'll ever make it in the pet trade (for professional herp people, not just like puppy mills), if there's enough of them in the wild.

Big prey (mice+) is what always kept me from building a giant enclosure and getting a monitor but I'd feed one lotsa fruit! :D

That's exactly my reasoning too, in addition to hearing that a lot of them are pretty aggressive. This one, if it doesn't just freak out when you go to look at/touch it if it's brought into the market (like a lot of chameleons, I hear), would be the perfect pet.

Back