What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baja California Easter earthquake felt in S. Arizona

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Surely you have heard of the Baja California earthquake which happened this past Sunday. After seeing some pool videos online I decided to pull the security video from the pool at where I work. Luckily it was a calm day and the camera was clicking on and off (is motion activated) because it did catch the action! Nothing to spectacular but pretty neat to see it was felt all the way here. Some people here say they felt it, I didn't... To the best I can figure, we were flying RC helicopters when it happened. I blame the earthquake on my worst crash. :-))
Andrew

Edit: the noise is ambiance sound and not the earthquake haha!

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5q-gDj_uPVA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5q-gDj_uPVA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

That's really freaking cool! To be honest being here in the very south end of San Diego, it was pretty unnerving and had it gone on for any longer or intense than it did, I would have walked outside instead of being inside because I trust the building to rhythmic swaying, but not just the straight-out random jarring and shaking that this one did (had a nice rhythmic one off the coast of La Jolla last fall that was something like a 4.0 or 5.0 I think).

That's the one I felt. I was walking in my house when my house stated to shake. I have to admit I did get a bit dizzy.

Thez_yo: If I felt it here miles away I can't imagine how it felt there several minutes (I guess) from the epicenter.

I'm a little late to this discussion, but I'm in Central Northern San Diego (around Mission Bay), and one of the trash cans I was using to store rainwater for my CPs shook so intensely that the lid--which was on pretty tight--got thrown off and a few gallons of water sloshed out the top. That was a pretty violent shaker! By the time we had the big aftershock last month the bins were empty, so I don't know if the smaller but closer temblor was strong enough to do the same trick with the water...

Back