What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

want proof.........

the idiots in DC dont read the bills they pass?......this is just hilarious..........

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/13/us/politics/13health.html

Baffled by Health Plan? So Are Some Lawmakers
By ROBERT PEAR
Published: April 12, 2010

WASHINGTON — It is often said that the new health care law will affect almost every American in some way. And, perhaps fittingly if unintentionally, no one may be more affected than members of Congress themselves.

In a new report, the Congressional Research Service says the law may have significant unintended consequences for the “personal health insurance coverage” of senators, representatives and their staff members.

For example, it says, the law may “remove members of Congress and Congressional staff” from their current coverage, in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, before any alternatives are available.

The confusion raises the inevitable question: If they did not know exactly what they were doing to themselves, did lawmakers who wrote and passed the bill fully grasp the details of how it would influence the lives of other Americans?

The law promises that people can keep coverage they like, largely unchanged. For members of Congress and their aides, the federal employees health program offers much to like. But, the report says, the men and women who wrote the law may find that the guarantee of stability does not apply to them.

“It is unclear whether members of Congress and Congressional staff who are currently participating in F.E.H.B.P. may be able to retain this coverage,” the research service said in an 8,100-word memorandum.

And even if current members of Congress can stay in the popular program for federal employees, that option will probably not be available to newly elected lawmakers, the report says.

Moreover, it says, the strictures of the new law will apply to staff members who work in the personal office of a member of Congress. But they may or may not apply to people who work on the staff of Congressional committees and in “leadership offices” like those of the House speaker and the Democratic and Republican leaders and whips in the two chambers.

These seemingly technical questions will affect 535 members of Congress and thousands of Congressional employees. But the issue also has immense symbolic and political importance. Lawmakers of both parties have repeatedly said their goal is to provide all Americans with access to health insurance as good as what Congress has.

Congress must now decide what steps, if any, it can take to deal with the problem. It could try for a legislative fix, or it could adopt internal policies to minimize any disruptions.

In its painstaking analysis of the new law, the research service says the impact on Congress itself and the intent of Congress are difficult to ascertain.

The law apparently bars members of Congress from the federal employees health program, on the assumption that lawmakers should join many of their constituents in getting coverage through new state-based markets known as insurance exchanges.

But the research service found that this provision was written in an imprecise, confusing way, so it is not clear when it takes effect.

The new exchanges do not have to be in operation until 2014. But because of a possible “drafting error,” the report says, Congress did not specify an effective date for the section excluding lawmakers from the existing program.

Under well-established canons of statutory interpretation, the report said, “a law takes effect on the date of its enactment” unless Congress clearly specifies otherwise. And Congress did not specify any other effective date for this part of the health care law. The law was enacted when President Obama signed it three weeks ago.

In addition, the report says, Congress did not designate anyone to resolve these “ambiguities” or to help arrange health insurance for members of Congress in the future.

“This omission, whether intentional or inadvertent, raises questions regarding interpretation and implementation that cannot be definitively resolved by the Congressional Research Service,” the report says. “The statute does not appear to be self-executing, but rather seems to require an administrating or implementing authority that is not specifically provided for by the statutory text.”

The White House said last month that Mr. Obama would voluntarily participate in the health insurance exchange, though the law does not require him or other administration officials to do so. His participation as president may depend on his getting re-elected in 2012.

Representative Jason Chaffetz, Republican of Utah, said lawmakers were in the same boat as many Americans, trying to figure out what the new law meant for them.

“If members of Congress cannot explain how it’s going to work for them and their staff, how will they explain it to the rest of America?” Mr. Chaffetz asked in an interview.

The provision governing members of Congress can be traced to the Senate Finance Committee. When the panel was working on the legislation last September, Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa, proposed an amendment to require that elected federal officials and all federal employees buy coverage through an exchange, “rather than using the traditional Federal Employees Health Benefits Program.”

A scaled-back version of the amendment, applying to members of Congress and their aides, was accepted in the committee without objection.

The federal employees program, created in 1959, now provides coverage to eight million people and, according to the Congressional Research Service, is the largest employer-sponsored health insurance program in the country.

A version of this article appeared in print on April 13, 2010, on page A14 of the New York edition.

Hmmm, not a big surprise their. I am slightly amused that they made such a goof as that. I'm sure they'll come up with some reason as to why they will be exempt from their own law.

Well, I won't lose sleep is some of our congressmen & women lose some of their fabulous benefits. But I have to say, IMHO, we're better with the law than without.

i have stated before i aint against health reform but i believe it should be done at the state level......how is legislation being rubber stamped and passed by opur representatives that do not bother to actually read what they are signing good for us? if the ones saying we need it and are passing it have no clue what it says how can they know its the right thing......and im not just talking this health care stuff......they do this with the vast majority of the stuff they pass....just look to see if their party supports the general idea of it and dont bother themselves with the details.....very, very, very few of our representatives in congress bother to read or try and understand the bills they pass and that is bordering on criminal.....

Congress was not even given the chance to read the banker bailout. They were told to pass it or face martial law.... I doubt any of them would have read it though.

Who says they didn't notice? With all the scrutiny that bill was under, I find it hard to believe that something like that went unnoticed.

it was not under strict scrutiny, it got pushed through so damn fast no one read it.......do you honestly think the majority of them would agree to get rid of their top shelf health insurance?

I saw this a while back but it came to mind when I was thinking about why congress would pass laws they don't read. Probably because they are too darn busy with thier own problems...

(source: capitalhillblue.com)

According to an investigation by Capitol Hill Blue, an online publication that covers federal politics, a remarkable number of U.S. Representatives and U.S. Senators may have spent as much time in a jail cell as on Capitol Hill.

After researching public records, newspaper articles, civil court transcripts, and criminal records, Capitol Hill Blue discovered that:

* 29 members of Congress have been accused of spousal abuse.
* 7 have been arrested for fraud.
* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks.
* 117 have bankrupted at least two businesses.
* 3 have been arrested for assault.
* 71 have credit reports so bad they can't qualify for a credit card.
* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges.
* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting.
* 21 are current defendants in lawsuits.
* And in 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving, but released after they claimed Congressional immunity.

Does this sound like the type of people who "read the fine print?"

Granted this info is rather old. I wonder what the tally for our current congress?

Another example of why is must become law that these idiots actually read bills before voting on them.

It's slander to compare law making to sausage making, with the sausage makers being the slanderees. But this kind of thing pretty much has to be done at the federal level because it helps balance the need for service and the ability to pay. Some states send more to the federal government than they get back (like where I am in CT) and you can see the overall numbers at http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/266.html. If something huge like health care were done on a state-by-state basis, some states would be hard pressed to do anything at all. I'm trying hard to resist the urge to point out how blue states tend to prop up the red states.

edit: By the way, the last time I looked at the numbers carefully, the average ended up a penny or two above $1. That meant that states tended to get back back more than they contributed and the difference was the federal deficit. I can only imagine what that number would be for the current fiscal year.

Back