What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

oh yes a very fun event indeed, even "window" shopping will be fun

I think, since this is computer based, that you mean "windows" shopping! LOL.

Bad Schloaty! Bad!

Hey Dustin, have you managed to keep that Brugmansia cutting alive since last year?

Nahhhh - these auctions are typically pretty good for the whole 2 weeks. People keep bidding on stuff & also new items continue coming into the auction the whole time ....

Yes, in the past there has been a pretty even distribution on the bidding and when items are listed. Some early items get buried and go through a period of no bidding but someone usually manages to dig them up and revive bidding on them.

Some tips for the first timers:

This is not a dedicated auction site like eBay so there is no "auto-bidding". It is also up to the bidder to be aware of the minimum bid increments although others will quickly point out a bid that is below the minimum increment.

If you like to "snipe" your bids (wait to the last possible moment) you'll find it won't work here effectively for more than one item. There is a 30 second time-out delay between posts per user (spam/flooding prevention). So obviously if you have 3 items you want to snipe and wait until the last 60 seconds you'll be lucky to bid on one of the items due to response delays as well as the flood protection.

Use the thread tool "subscribe to this thread" or bookmark the thread or create a shortcut to keep track of the items you are bidding on or interested in.

Above all have fun. It is for a good cause.

If you like to "snipe" your bids (wait to the last possible moment) you'll find it won't work here effectively for more than one item. There is a 30 second time-out delay between posts per user (spam/flooding prevention). So obviously if you have 3 items you want to snipe and wait until the last 60 seconds you'll be lucky to bid on one of the items due to response delays as well as the flood protection.
... and the dreaded forum-collapse-syndrome ... :0o:

Wow. Thanks NaN. Very informative! That means what I could only "snipe" one out of three on this example. Any more tips??

I was cleaning out my garage today so this is good timing.

I'll post some hard goods again this year.

Wow. Thanks NaN. Very informative! That means what I could only "snipe" one out of three on this example. Any more tips??

I would discourage sniping altogether. Again, this isn't a dedicated auction site and while Andrew has upgraded the servers, software and service a burst of high activity could strain things. It held up last year but then people could be less cautious this year.

Lets remember that the time the server crashed it was not just a "over load shutdown" there was hardware malfunction which happened right at that moment. The people where the dedicated server is hosted was never actually able to figure out what had happened. That server was the same server that had been serving this forum since it's creation back in 2001. As mentioned the server was upgraded last year to a new/better dedicated server- My gallery isn't even on that server at this point (it's still running on the old server) but we will keep the flood protection just to be safe I think... Also, I think it will help that you can watch the "bids" in the shout box! So there won't be a need for constant refreshing of the bid pages. Remember- you can click the arrow in the lower right hand corner of the shout box to open a larger shoutbox so you can see even more post notifications at a time.
Andrew

Hey Dustin said:
Um, sadly they did die, i think they were also part of the squirrel attacks, and they never recovered. Though the cps i got from the last auction have been growing really well. I have found a pretty good amount of glass for the greenhouse for free, hopefully i can get it covered, the plastic just didn't work at all, the first year it did. should be picking it up today, im still looking for more though, its pretty big 10x12ft

adnedarn: are we allowed to post plants that are in the flytrap shop in the auction?

Yes, everything can be posted. I take the loss of sales for the good of the NASC auction :p

PS- the auction is open for listings/bidding :)

Andrew

AND SO IT BEGINS! I won't have the 1st or 2nd post like last time though, I'm not at home and i like to add pics. At the time its look, but you can't have, haha not having money during these is a pain :p

Already something nice up there :D

Going to have to go count my change, including the change i find laying around the house :rolleyes:

IF ANYONE HAS A AQUARIUM/POND PLANT PACKAGE I WOULD MOST LIKELY BE INTERESTED, NEED SOME PLANTS FOR MY BETTAS

Back