What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous potatoes ?

Was researching the upcoming Ag Day at Rutgers university and I stumbled upon this article printed in a NJ newspaper in December 2009. The British blokes studied the meat eating activity of some common plants such as potatoes. Who would have thought !!!
I was wondering if they would be selling any CP's at the Ag Day, maybe I should be checking out the veggies and the petunias instead.

Well they are in the smae family as Tomatoes, which were proven semi-carnivorous.

My potatoes harvest bugs. It's annoying.

Mine just got mowed by cutworms. I'm still waiting for the spuds to fight back!

Is this the article where Kew researchers decided that essentially any plant which has hairs that stop invasive insects and sometimes they die and fall on the ground and eventually feed the plant can now be called carnivorous? I think it's totally ridiculous, that would make all my ferns and other exotic plants "carnivorous" because they have all had countless crickets die near them and decay into the terrarium soil. This would mean trees in graveyards could by extension, be called carnivorous since some roots grow into coffins and probably gain some sustenance from corpses but that doesn't really make oak trees carnivorous, just in that instance. The tress aren't actively grabbing mourners and consuming them.

I consider a true carnivorous plant to be one which has evolved a strategy to lure, catch and digest prey.

Back