What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imports to the U.S.

thez_yo

instigator
As I'm sure at least a handful of people on this forum get imports from foreign sources from time to time (be they large B.E. shipments or individual heliamphora.de buys), can you clear up what I'm seeing on a lot of other forums about USDA and border control destroying or sending back most every shipment that has tried to come through the border recently because of some new legislation? I know I'm waiting on some imports and I want to figure out if I should expect to get my plants instead of a legal notice stating that I tried to import some pathogens/illegal pests into the country...I'm hearing that a lot of Exotica imports are getting destroyed/sent back/held back.

I'm looking to get some Sarrs from overseas and searching and contacting the USDA I am needing the ppq 587 and the source will need to provide a phytosanitary certificate to be placed on the box. Of course it's a different story if the plants you're looking to import are CITES restricted.

ive only heard that kind of case coming out of exotica plants from australia. i received my BE order 2 weeks ago--all systems go on that. still waiting on wistuba though. :p

BE guarantees live arrival, so even if they get destroyed in customs for some reason, they will replace or refund. That is their policy. Exotica has had plants destroyed in customs and they do not guarantee live arrival, so if that happens from them, you are out of luck. So I guess it depends on who is sending the plants to you, if they will guarantee arrival or not. I typically refuse to ship outside the US for that reason, and if I do ship anything, I don't guarantee it outside of the US. I do guarantee live arrival inside the US, but so much could go wrong with an international shipment.

Yann, about 6 yrs ago I got a NZ phyto certificate.... back then that one cost me 75$ USD
Get out the party jar of Vaseline and check book

Big owie
;)

Ya that's about right butch. The 587 is 70 usd. Small price to pay for. These puppies though :) I forgot to mention to thezyo though that some distributors like wisstuba, there's no need for any paperwork. I don't about places like EP, BE etc...

I'm looking to get some Sarrs from overseas and searching and contacting the USDA I am needing the ppq 587 and the source will need to provide a phytosanitary certificate to be placed on the box. Of course it's a different story if the plants you're looking to import are CITES restricted.

They will also need to provide a CITES export permit as well as a phyto for the Sarracenia. All Sarracenia are appendix II except for the few that are appendix I. You will need an import permit and a protected plant permit.

They will also need to provide a CITES export permit as well as a phyto for the Sarracenia. All Sarracenia are appendix II except for the few that are appendix I. You will need an import permit and a protected plant permit.

Thanks Tony, I'm glad you brought this to my attention as the agent I conversed with over the phone didn't mention anything about a CITES permit since I told her they were hybrids. Do you happen to know why CITES permit is required? I didn't think Appendix II required this?

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml (ctrl + f 'Sarracenia')

Wow, this thread is turning into a nice import/export thread like the small seed lot one a few weeks back. Thanks to everyone who has answered so far :).

Butch - now you've made this into the *everything* import/export thread :-D

Appendix II species require permits:

http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/text.shtml#IV

Article IV

Regulation of Trade in Specimens of Species Included in Appendix II

1. All trade in specimens of species included in Appendix II shall be in accordance with the provisions of this Article.

2. The export of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior grant and presentation of an export permit. An export permit shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Scientific Authority of the State of export has advised that such export will not be detrimental to the survival of that species;

(b) a Management Authority of the State of export is satisfied that the specimen was not obtained in contravention of the laws of that State for the protection of fauna and flora; and

(c) a Management Authority of the State of export is satisfied that any living specimen will be so prepared and shipped as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment.

3. A Scientific Authority in each Party shall monitor both the export permits granted by that State for specimens of species included in Appendix II and the actual exports of such specimens. Whenever a Scientific Authority determines that the export of specimens of any such species should be limited in order to maintain that species throughout its range at a level consistent with its role in the ecosystems in which it occurs and well above the level at which that species might become eligible for inclusion in Appendix I, the Scientific Authority shall advise the appropriate Management Authority of suitable measures to be taken to limit the grant of export permits for specimens of that species.

4. The import of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior presentation of either an export permit or a re-export certificate.

5. The re-export of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior grant and presentation of a re-export certificate. A re-export certificate shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Management Authority of the State of re-export is satisfied that the specimen was imported into that State in accordance with the provisions of the present Convention; and

(b) a Management Authority of the State of re-export is satisfied that any living specimen will be so prepared and shipped as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment.

6. The introduction from the sea of any specimen of a species included in Appendix II shall require the prior grant of a certificate from a Management Authority of the State of introduction. A certificate shall only be granted when the following conditions have been met:

(a) a Scientific Authority of the State of introduction advises that the introduction will not be detrimental to the survival of the species involved; and

(b) a Management Authority of the State of introduction is satisfied that any living specimen will be so handled as to minimize the risk of injury, damage to health or cruel treatment.

7. Certificates referred to in paragraph 6 of this Article may be granted on the advice of a Scientific Authority, in consultation with other national scientific authorities or, when appropriate, international scientific authorities, in respect of periods not exceeding one year for total numbers of specimens to be introduced in such periods.

On the Appendices themselves you will find the following footnote on the carnivorous plant species:
http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml
#1 All parts and derivatives, except:
a) seeds, spores and pollen (including pollinia);
b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants; and
d) fruits and parts and derivatives thereof of artificially propagated plants of the genus Vanilla.

Barry Rice explains this:
http://sarracenia.com/faq/faq4340.html
So it is not necessary to obtain CITES paperwork for those kinds of plant parts/derivatives for Appendix II species. Note that in order to be considered "seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro", the plants must still be in flasks or some other sort of in vitro container! Deflasked, or potted, or bare-root plants that you swear to the heavens were originally derived from in vitro propagation, do not count---you will require permits for these.

Incidentally, it is important to observe that the preceding exemptions are only for materials originally collected legally. If you collect seeds illegally, you are violating the definition of "artificially propagated" as adopted at the 11th Conference of the Parties, i.e.

Thanks Tony, I'm glad you brought this to my attention as the agent I conversed with over the phone didn't mention anything about a CITES permit since I told her they were hybrids. Do you happen to know why CITES permit is required? I didn't think Appendix II required this?

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml (ctrl + f 'Sarracenia')

Ahh you didn't mention hybrids previously. Hybrids should be exempt yes. There is however a little clause that "Plants not clearly qualifying for the exemption must be accompanied by appropriate CITES documents." What constitutes clearly qualifying beats me.. I don't import many Sarracenia hybrids. When I bring in Nepenthes the hybrids are also listed on the CITES documents. Maybe it's to just prevent any issues...

Ahh you didn't mention hybrids previously. Hybrids should be exempt yes. There is however a little clause that "Plants not clearly qualifying for the exemption must be accompanied by appropriate CITES documents." What constitutes clearly qualifying beats me.. I don't import many Sarracenia hybrids. When I bring in Nepenthes the hybrids are also listed on the CITES documents. Maybe it's to just prevent any issues...

Ya I realized I hadn't mentioned this in my original post, my mistake. I'm sure the unclear margins are just to give them grounds in a 'what if' situation... In any case before you can even apply for the ppq587 you need to have level access 2 to the USDA site which means applying for it then going to a licensed USDA office that verify your identity in order to clear you.
I still think though that $70 is a small fee to pay for a potentially lucrative or selective import...

Aren't you excited now Thezyo to see what you get to look forward to? :-D

Butch: Do you remember how long your permit was valid for?

NaN: Thanks for the link

The 75 was for the phyosanitary certificate only Yann. I didnt need a certificate cause what I imported was exempt by the USDA at the time.
But I did include the letter I had from them stating that fact LOL

One local office I talked to told me that they had no idea and never heard of this stuff, 30 miles away at another office.... "oh yes, thats no problem"

Butch

I'm going through the permit process right now. I can confirm that for importing Appendix II plants you need an export CITES permit and a phytosanitary certificate from the exporting country. If you are exporting plants from the US, the CITES permit is issued from the US Fish and Wildlife Service and a federal phyto certificate is issued through USDA APHIS. If you are importing Appendix I plants, both import and export permits are needed as well as the federal phyto cert. Of course, the costs of these permits will depend on what kind of permits are being applied for. For example, there are several types of CITES permits available: single shipment/house plant, re-export, multiple commercial, etc. Costs for these permits will also depend upon the country of origin. In the US, each of these permits can cost as low as $50 each.

When I finished going through the process and have settled down in Toronto, I will be writing a more detailed how-to as to navigate through the process.

-Hermes.

...can you clear up what I'm seeing on a lot of other forums about USDA and border control destroying or sending back most every shipment that has tried to come through the border recently because of some new legislation?...

The rules on this got changed about a year ago and despite the fact that USDA tok a lot of time informing people of it most no one went out and followed the new rules. I still have all my letters from USDA detailing the rule change and I made sure I complied with them. If you follow the rules you should be fine.

I am pretty sure that in addition to the 587 you will also need a 621. I needed both at any rate

Ya that's about right butch. The 587 is 70 usd.

It has been a bit since I got my 587 (since they are good for 5 years) but I believe they are free to get. It is the 621 that costs $70 and it has to be re upped every 2 years

ive only heard that kind of case coming out of exotica plants from australia. i received my BE order 2 weeks ago--all systems go on that. still waiting on wistuba though. :p

Well... what with that volcano shutting down all air traffic in Europe the beginning of last week and all the week before you have to be a bit understanding with Wistuba. I got an email from him saying he was hoping to be able to ship this coming week so maybe we won't have to wait much longer. Personally I am happy to wait while the shipping companies get things back in order and not worry about the plants getting hung up somewhere rotting away.

I am pretty sure that in addition to the 587 you will also need a 621. I needed both at any rate

It has been a bit since I got my 587 (since they are good for 5 years) but I believe they are free to get. It is the 621 that costs $70 and it has to be re upped every 2 years

Well you've been more help then the lady that granted my level 2 access was LOL
She couldn't tell me how long my 587 was going to be good for or what permits I would need or what they were.
I'll call and double check with them about the 621. I'm saying this because here is what permit is called: Application for Application for Protected Plant Permit to Engage in the Business of Importing, Exporting, or Re-exporting Protected Plants (CITES) Since I'd be importing hybrids they don't fall under an Appendix but I'd rather double check and be safe then to miss a step and have the package get destroyed...

Like Tony said, hybrids are supposedly exempt but... do you chance it. I have mine because I bring in species as well as hybrids.

Back